Anyone try the room temperature method?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can relate on wanting to learn as much as possible before making that first batch. :) I've been putting mine off forever, because I want to know all possible scenarios!

artisan soaps said:
CookieChan said:
Can someone explain the different types of RTCP? I'm confused.

I guess I better answer this since calling the different RTCP methods 'Types' is terminology I started .. I added it to my signature a while back and it's caught on :lol:

Type 1 RTCP - uses Hot Lye to melt the solid oils

Type 2 RTCP - uses Room Temp Lye and Room Temp oils

Thanks!

so, apart from temperature of the lye, is there any difference between the resulting soap?
first, is there a difference between regular cp and rtcp soap?
second, is there a difference between type 1 and type 2 rtcp soap?
third, is there a difference between gelling and not gelling soap?

ummmm...should i ask the questions in separate posts? :oops:

I heat my hard oils, add my liquid oils, mix my lye and add it immediately. Then stick blend to trace. I was deathly afraid to cool lye down, leave it around while cooling or concern myself with testing the lye water temperature. I haven't had a problem at all doing it this way.

hmmm. I think that makes me a type 1.5....

LOL

I melt my solid/brittle oils, then add the cold liquid oils to cool it to room temperature, if necessary cooling more until it gets to room temperature.

then I add the lye I mixed at the begin of the process (super strong solution diluted down with cold water to proper strenght until warm.) ...

so far my biggest issue is cutting the darned stuff. It stays sticky for a while.

I mix my lye and set to cool, melt my solid oils together then add the liquid. I add my lye to my oils when they are both the same temp, but never more then 120 degrees.
The batch I did yesterday afternoon is the first one I've actually seen go threw the jell phase, I think because I usually cover my soaps. Can jell phase vary in time based on FO's used? This is a new scent for me, and I'd usually be able to cut by now. :shock:

so does rtcp go through the gel phase? i've now made a couple of batches and they have not gone through gel and they are still sticky to the touch and softish. does this sound right?

Sounds about right. I had one batch partiallly gel, but that was my own fault as it was a warm day, and i didn't wait for my lye to totally cool.

The rest haven't gelled and are best cut with a wire cutter as they stick to a blade!

I used to melt all my hard oils first then add my liquid oils. I'd bring the lye solution and the oils to the same temp....etc, etc.

Now I just measure out the hard oils and put them in the pot. I measure out the liquid oils and put them aside. I make up the lye solution and as soon as the lye has disolved and is no longer cloudy, I add it to the hard oils. Using my whisk, I smoosh everything around until the hard oils have melted and then I add the liquid oils. Then I SB until it's at a good trace and add the goodies.

It's so easy and much quicker. Everything gels as normal and my soaps come out of the mold the next day just like they used to.

It's definately my new favorite way to soap. :D

whisks said:
so does rtcp go through the gel phase? i've now made a couple of batches and they have not gone through gel and they are still sticky to the touch and softish. does this sound right?

I have to actively encourage mine to gel. I use an esky with a towel & heat wheat bags under the mould,cover with another towel & close the lid.Depending on ingredients it takes anywhere from 20min(Goatsmilk) to 2hrs to get gel. That's for a log mould,18.5" x 3.5".Smaller ones & singles take less,but none of em heat up on their own.

Latest posts

Back