Anyone try the room temperature method?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricci

Reaction score
I have yet to make my first batch of soap and have been trying to learn as much as possible before starting. I have read about this room temperature method, but it almost sounds too easy. Has anyone tried it and can you tell me how it went?

The way I have read it is you pour your lye solution (without cooling) over your hard oils and the heat from the solution will melt your oil. Once completely melted, you add liquid oils and blend to trace.

Thanks

I've never done it that way...but I do "Type 2 RT", meaning I add my room temp lye/water to my room temp oils, SB to trace & pour. Works every time, never had a problem. I won't do it any other way now (well, except for hot process & whipped). :D I thought it sounded too easy to be true, too. But it has not failed me yet.

edit to add: I guess I should clarify: The lye/water is mixed then left to cool. The hard oils/butters are warmed just enough to melt, then liquid oils added, and cooled till I can comfortably touch the bottom of the pot & hold my hand there.

I just recently tried room temperature for the first. The soaps did come out fine, but it seems that they have to sit in the mold longer before they could be removed (they were still too soft). Has anyone else noticed this?

i didn't try this, but am very loose about my temperatures, i just don't worry too much about them, never had any kind of problem. well, i just make sure it's not too hot (i guess it by touching the pot from the outside ) :oops:

i was wondering about the texture of rtcp?? i can't remember someone posting pics of their rtcp soaps, please direct me to them, if i missed them. i love the texture of cp very much, and really don't the one of hp, that's why i'm not willing to give rtcp a try until i see what the end product looks like.

I have made several batches like this. I use goats milk in my soaps and mix the lye/milk mixture keeping it cool by placing the bowl in an ice bath in the sink. In the mean time I heat up all my oils in the microwave until melted. I stir them up real good and let them sit to cool off to around 80 degrees, then mix them together with the lye/milk and stick blend for a minute or two then they are ready to mold. I have noticed it does take extra time to set up. I usually let mine sit in the mold an extra day or two before unmolding.

I melt my oils (making sure i have more liquids than solids) and let it cool to room temperature. Make my sodium hydroxide mix, let it cool (if i'm patient enough - depends how much I have to do. ) and pour it over, blend with stickblender, add fragrance and/or colour. Done.

I do RT Type2 (melted oils/RT lye) I find I have to force gel,if left to it's own devices it just doesn't seem to generate enough heat.Perhaps that's why some find the soap is soft longer?No gel will take longer to harden.

I am glad to hear that it can take longer to set up, I wasn't sure if I did something wrong. And WOW Artisan, you have some beautiful soaps there!

Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone, it's appreciated. Can't wait to try it :)

I exclusively RTCP. The only things I melt completely are brittle oils, like cocoa butter or stearic acid, if I'm using any. Otherwise, I just add all my oils to the pot, stick blend till smooth (this helps them to melt faster), mix up my lye solution, add it to my oils and stir until the oils melt. I sometimes have to stir for a few minutes to get everything melted, especially this time of year when my soap room is a little cooler. If I am adding TD I will add it to the oils before the lye, same with colorants if I am only using one color. Once the oils have all melted, I just proceed as usual. I have found that, unless I am adding honey or using a fragrance or EO that heats up, this method generally will not gel on its own. You can put it in a warm oven to kick start gel if you want. A soap that doesn't gel will be softer at first, but will eventually get just as hard as a gelled soap. it will have the appearance of a traditionally made CP soap.

I've done a RTCP batch and I loved it! My oils and lye were both cool. My batch did not gel but it was in a small slab mold. I haven't gotten to use this batch yet. I made it just two weeks ago.

it's frustrating, isn't it?, that there is one name for two techniques?

we should probably fix that LOL.

gel is what we call it when the heat of the reaction (saponification) is enough to change the texture of the soap for a while - it gets hot, dark, clearish, and wobbly like jello. kinda. It then hardens up and is regular soap!

That heat also speeds the reaction - so soaps that gel are done saponifying more quickly (but it's really due to the heat, not to the gel itself which is a result of that heat).

HTH

carebear said:
it's frustrating, isn't it?, that there is one name for two techniques?

we should probably fix that LOL.

Yes it's confusing! Specially when you consider that one of the RTCP techniques involves adding HOT lye. I don't get that at all! :?

So whats the difference in the finished product - between gel and non-gel?

I have read that some want it to gel.. and other people dont want gel? So thats tells me there must be some sort of difference to the soap in the end??

Back