Anyone know what this is?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattleyabubbles

Reaction score
I was in n'hood Goodwill store, when I spotted this piece in kitchen ware & figure I could give it a new life as a soap mold. Does anybody have one of these in their collection of kitchen gadgets & knows what it is? More importantly, is it made of stainless steel?

Image26.jpg

Image27.jpg

Image28-1.jpg

Probably is stainless steel, you can check with a magnet, a magnet won't stick to stainless. As to what it is -- a fish poacher. A gourmet piece of kitchen equipment.

sorry yes - prob stainless, at least all the ones my search showed up are

Yes a fish poacher. There is a great scene in Roxanne with Steve Martin (one of my all time favorite movies) where he whips up a gourmet dinner with this number. Lovely.

:( unfortunately my kitchen magnet sticks to the inside/outside of the poacher. :idea: side of things; only paid $6.76, plus it'll make some good poach salmon :D

mamaT said:
a magnet won't stick to stainless.

Actually, magnets will indeed stick to stainless- not all stainless steel things, mind you (it depends)- but many.

Magnets will never stick to aluminum, however. One should never soap in aluminum, by the way. Stainless is fine to soap with, though.

IrishLass :)

Edited to add- a good test to see if it's made with aluminum is to cook tomato sauce in it. If it's aluminum it will develop pits in it. The acids from the tomato sauce eat away at aluminum cookware. This is not so if it's stainless.

mamaT said:
Probably is stainless steel, you can check with a magnet, a magnet won't stick to stainless. As to what it is -- a fish poacher. A gourmet piece of kitchen equipment.

Some machinist friends of mine have told me that there is such a thing as magnetic stainless, but it is rare & expensive, like free machining stainless.

Latest posts

Back