Anyone have any thoughts on this mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, this little mold works wonderfully! i use approx 32 oz of oils to fill it up with a little left over. Forgot to add that i use a 33% lye concentration, that would affect the total volume.

Yes, those are straight edge molds, no bowing from my recipe. I poured level with the top in my batch yesterday to reach max depth of the mold. If I remember my measurements off the top of my head, inside dimensions are 8" L x 3.5" W x 2.5" H so would roughly be 28 oz of oils. They're a 40-44oz capacity mold.

I recently bought the five pack of these. The one and only thing I do not like about them (but really isn't that big of a deal either) is that the bottom is thin. If you pick it up with raw batter, it'll pop the bottom out a little bit. It hasn't created any problems for me, but it might for certain soaps with pretty tops.

I also bought the 5 pack. I love them. I also like my Soapers resource acrylic mold. It has dividers for individual bars.

I love this mold! I would recommend seasoning it with some mineral oil though, the corners do have a tendency to stick in the mold. The loaf is a nice size and makes ~8 4.5 - 5oz bars.

Hestey said:
I love this mold! I would recommend seasoning it with some mineral oil though, the corners do have a tendency to stick in the mold. The loaf is a nice size and makes ~8 4.5 - 5oz bars.

I had this problem until I realized that if the soap gelled it didn't stick. So now I just make sure all of my soap gets to gel.

My corners didn't gel (doesn't matter much to me, just a bit more curing time) but the center did. My corners didn't stick. However, there was a sort of peeling action going on that left a little bit of soap surface skin in patches on the mold because I didn't get full gel. I'm going to CPOP the next batch I make. Speaking of which, I should get pics of that batch.

My corners never seem to gel, even if my soap overheats, the **** corners don't gel and stay in the mold! :roll:

I always pop mine in the freezer for a few hours and then unmold. Haven't had any issues with losing soap to the mold, and I've done several batches (all ungelled).

I just bought one of these to try. The thing I notice is that it's just a tad shy of being a full 8" long. My bars are 1" thick so now I'm going to have one that's just a little thinner.

Anyone else notice this?

tkhaney1 said:
I just bought one of these to try. The thing I notice is that it's just a tad shy of being a full 8" long. My bars are 1" thick so now I'm going to have one that's just a little thinner.

Anyone else notice this?

I have noticed this with the clear 8 inch molds. The old green ones were a full 8 inches. It's a bit irritating because otherwise these molds perform really well.

I have that mold. I also have Bramble Berry's which is about 10" long. They are the only log molds I use. I sucked at lining the wooden ones.

Dividers?

Has anyone used a divider in this mold? I was wanting to split the recipe into two, for two different scents, and wanted to know what I could use to divide the crafters choice 1501 loaf mold.

Last edited:
Soapman you would probably need a piece of sturdy plastic or silicone slab that's the right length to divide this mold. I've thought about doing something similar (make the mold slimmer for 2.5" width instead of 3.5") and since I don't have the silicone or sturdy plastic I need to make a trip to the hardware store. I thought I could get a cut piece of wood and wrap it with freezer paper or a scrapbooking sleeve before putting it in the mold.

Soapman you would probably need a piece of sturdy plastic or silicone slab that's the right length to divide this mold. I've thought about doing something similar (make the mold slimmer for 2.5" width instead of 3.5") and since I don't have the silicone or sturdy plastic I need to make a trip to the hardware store. I thought I could get a cut piece of wood and wrap it with freezer paper or a scrapbooking sleeve before putting it in the mold.

kazmi,
Wrapping a thin piece of wood with freezer paper sounds good. I think I'll do this option. Thanks.

I'm glad that people seem to like these and have very few issues. Have looked at them a few times but haven't been able to pull the trigger on buying. I did look into plexiglass or HDPE to make my own molds and it was so expensive that it wasn't worth it. That said, I do love the 2 HDPE molds that I have bought.

Latest posts

Back