Anyone got any pictures of Red Australian Reef Clay soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodge

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've just bought some reef clay in an attempt to get a nice, deep red naturally, but can't seem to find a usage rate along with a picture. Only ever one or the other :D

So, any of you who have used red Australian reef clay in soap, how much did you use? And do you have a picture? I'd be ever so grateful :p

I'm not that bothered about the soap bleeding all over the place, I'm more worried about using too much and getting a crumbly mess / wasting clay

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Hi guys!

I've just bought some reef clay in an attempt to get a nice, deep red naturally, but can't seem to find a usage rate along with a picture. Only ever one or the other :D

So, any of you who have used red Australian reef clay in soap, how much did you use? And do you have a picture? I'd be ever so grateful :p

I'm not that bothered about the soap bleeding all over the place, I'm more worried about using too much and getting a crumbly mess / wasting clay

Thanks in advance! :cool:
This site says this much:1 T. / 15ml per lb. / 500g of soap.

This was the 8th soap I made. I used 1 tsp of red Australian clay mixed with 1 tsp of water in 900g of oils. It did not fade and this amount did not bleed.

8. red soap.jpg

I've never used clay - but this looks lovely. Does it accelerate trace at all?
Not at all. But it does have a "feel" to it that is different to the same recipe without clay. But for the life of me I can't describe it. Maybe a little more solid. Maybe a little less slippery.

Red clay isn't slimy but the yellow clay is for me and my family.

Where did you buy it at? Nice color
I got it from New Directions, Australia.

Last edited:
ND is where I got mine from, I overestimated the quantity you get. A little goes a long way.

Alas, I get the feeling mine won't look nearly as nice, my jasmine FO accelerated massively, not giving me enough time to properly mix charcoal into half my batch, and my swirl looks like mud :(:(

Maybe next time :D

Alas, I get the feeling mine won't look nearly as nice, my jasmine FO accelerated massively, not giving me enough time to properly mix charcoal into half my batch, and my swirl looks like mud :(:(

Maybe next time :D
So sorry. Floral FOs do tend to accelerate. Most websites have reviews of FOs on their site or there is an FO review spreadsheet on this forum that has lots of reviews - if an FO accelerated for someone I just don’t use it.

Latest posts

Back