Anyone else harvesting herbs this week?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintageliving

Reaction score
I've been bringing in some stevia and rosemary. Next is the Greek oregano, the chives, and a bit more lavender.

I cut my leeks to eat, too, a couple of weeks ago. And they are growing back! (Veggies, I know, not herbs.) :wink:

ETA: Took out the book reference and to put in the herb harvest report.

My basil is SOOO big right now, so I have been making HEAPS of pizzas! Unfortunately, I killed my stevia plants a few months ago... I didn't know that it needs SOME leaves in order to survive . :?
DH has FINALLY started digging out a spot for our veggie garden on the other side of the house, since our dear Golden Retriever, Baz, helped himself to our nearly ripe tomatoes a few months back. I just planted some tomato plants upside down in hanging containers, so I could try it out/be able to bring them inside when it gets colder... we still have a little while before that happens here in AZ, it was 90 yesterday!!!

Let me know how that works with the Toms I'm in SF bay area and live in landfill so we have a huge ant problem in the dirt here so I'd love to be able to plant with out them killing everything.

Pixie, have you tried using DE against the ants? The trade off is that it is not so good for the soft-bodied critters either like worms but it is not toxic and won't harm pets or people.

pixybratt said:
Let me know how that works with the Toms I'm in SF bay area and live in landfill so we have a huge ant problem in the dirt here so I'd love to be able to plant with out them killing everything.

Will do... it's my cheaper version of the topsy turvy. I'm pretty sure my father-in-law (who has a veggie stand in NZ) grows his tomatoes like this... I'm not POSITIVE though.

p.s. This method supposedly helps with pests too.... though my mom says that my stepfather puts a coffee can around the bottom of the plant to keep out bugs, supposedly that works too.

pixybratt said:
...so we have a huge ant problem in the dirt here ....

I put babypowder on ants. And I just sprinkle it around my veggie plants and mix some in the dirt (with epsom salts for the tomatoes). I don't know why, but the baby powder seems to work and its cheap.

Latest posts

Back