Any tips for Melting Hard Oils Without Microwave

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have I been making a mistake just putting my stainless steel bowl if oils directly on a gas burner on low? I do do heat transfer mostly but am too new to recommend it to others.
Cheers
gww

I'm still very much a scaredy cat! LOL I'm still so afraid of my lye, I use 75% ice to 25% water. Heat transfer method is still too advance for my comfortability right now. But thank you for the vote of confidence @Hope Ann ! I appreciate the faith you have in me.

@gww I am the offspring of a firefighter. I am way to afraid of gas burners 😰 If it works for you, power to you!

@Misschief Good to know that you find it a reliable method! I shall go ahead!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you taking your time to reply!

I'm still very much a scaredy cat! LOL I'm still so afraid of my lye, I use 75% ice to 25% water. Heat transfer method is still too advance for my comfortability right now. But thank you for the vote of confidence @Hope Ann ! I appreciate the faith you have in me.

@gww I am the offspring of a firefighter. I am way to afraid of gas burners 😰 If it works for you, power to you!

@Misschief Good to know that you find it a reliable method! I shall go ahead!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you taking your time to reply!

To elaborate, I use my large stainless steel bowl for soapmaking and it fits perfectly on my largest saucepan. I melt my solid oils, then add my liquid oils to bring the temps down.

Respect the lye but don't be afraid of it.

I DID IT!!!

I used my PP jug and immersed it. I stood there holding it so the bottom of the jug wouldn't touch the bottom of the pot. It's all I had right now. I brought the water to a boil, then turned it down a bit and took my time melting. I all worked well! Excited for tomorrow!

In a pinch you would use an electric dep fryer. Set the temp to the very lowest setting. On the lowest setting mine only heats my oil to 110

When my microwave is not an option, or whenever I feel like doing HP, my oils are melted in a heavy-bottomed stainless pot, right on the stove. As @The Efficacious Gentleman noted, we do this all the time for cooking. Just don't set the heat too high.

Sometimes a double-boiler method is good for more delicate ingredients. In that case, put a silicone hot pad or washrag on the bottom of the pot, with an overturned mason jelly jar or three on top of those. The jars make a handy resting spot for PPE jugs of oils that need melting and shouldn't be in direct contact with the pot bottom.

I also have the benefit of a wax melter that was made for mani-pedi work in a salon. It's amazing for super-fast melting of the harder oils like PKO, all the fancy hard materials that go into shampoo bars, etc. The only drawback is that all the materials at the bottom stay very hot and melty, while the ones near the top cool off too quickly.

I have a vintage Revere Ware copper-bottom Dutch oven (no lid) that I melt my hard oils and butter in on an electric store. I mainly use it when I'm Master Batching as it easily holds 128 oz/6 lbs and I can use to make larger batches of soap, though I usually use a dish pan.

And I have a separate, heavy-bottom stainless steel pan that I use to melt bees wax in. Because it has a lid, I just give it wipe down and cover when done.

Heating pad? Hot-water bottle? Place it on a space heater/tiled stove? Put the oils in a plastic bag and submerge it in a pot with hot water/sous-vide?
I have also successfully used an infrared spotlight originally intended for heat therapy.

And I would think that a double boiler makes it harder to control the temperature - changes made to the heat source have to change the water temperature before it can be passed on to the oils!

I have to say, I worry about a lot of people if heating oils until they melt in a pan on the hob is a safety concern

Latest posts

Back