Any advice?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thats awesome sry I do beat around the bush sometimes but yes thats the answer I needed. Tomorrow morning I will do a small batch to c how it goes. And one other question I have is can I put my oils and lard in one pan? Or do I have to wait for the trace to add my oils?
Ive seen it done both ways but I want a second and third opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Melt your solid oils (but don't go overboard, you need them melted, not boiled!), put the liquid oils in and then add the lye solution.

On that note, a 4:1 ratio is really far too much water for soap making. It is possible to use too much water which actually prevents the soap batter from stay emulsified. Try 2:1, so twice as much water as lye. Again, all by weight. This is much closer to the range where people soap - water:lye ratio is varies depending on the particular needs of a recipe, but almost never so high as 4:1

Ok thats awesome sry I do beat around the bush sometimes but yes thats the answer I needed. Tomorrow morning I will do a small batch to c how it goes. And one other question I have is can I put my oils and lard in one pan? Or do I have to wait for the trace to add my oils?
Ive seen it done both ways but I want a second and third opinion

As TEG said, add your liquid oils to your melted lard. Just be sure to go to soap calc (or any other lye calculator you like) and refigure your lye/water amounts if you are doing anything other than a batch of 16 oz 100% lard. If you are adding in olive oil, or any other oil, the lye amount required will change. Good luck!

The batch I was recommended to try was lard, coconut, and olive oil I was going to do a small batch of it to get somemore practice. But im still puzzled as to to the digital scale vs using a measuring cup... is it possible to use just a measuring cup?

The batch I was recommended to try was lard, coconut, and olive oil I was going to do a small batch of it to get somemore practice. But im still puzzled as to to the digital scale vs using a measuring cup... is it possible to use just a measuring cup?

In a word - no. You will never be able to properly calculate how much lye you need with using measuring cups. You need to measure in weights. A scale (and also goggles) is possibly the most important piece of equipment you need. As others have said, it doesn't need to be fancy or expensive, but does need to weigh to 0.1 ounce. And you need to recalculate the lye you need if you are making a recipe with lard, coconut and olive oil. Don't use the lye and water amounts I used in the post about how to use soapcalc. That was an example using only 100% lard in the amount of 16 ounces. Adding the coconut oil and olive oil will change the amount of lye you will use. It should make a very nice soap, when done correctly.

ETA: You can probably use something like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozeri-Pro-Digital-Kitchen-Food-Scale-1g-to-12-lbs-Capacity-Chrome/37531698

Someone will correct me if I am wrong about that.

Last edited:
Ok I will hold off on making it till I get a scale, goggles, robber gloves. Thank you!
Ok thats the scale ill get :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That scale will be fine.

Good idea to wait until you get safety equipment and a scale. While you are out getting those, grab a stickblender if you do not have one already. Also, run by the dollar store and get a couple of mixing bowls that have a 5 in the little triangle on the bottom. You can get the gloves, a spatula, and goggles there, also, and save some money.

Latest posts

Back