Antiseptic, First Aid Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone created a good, antiseptic, first aid soap? I think most hand crafted soap would be okay to use to wash cuts, scratches and the like, but I'm thinking of making a small batch designed just for that purpose. I'm thinking that essential oils of tea trea and lavender would be good choices. Perhaps juniper and/or pine. Has anyone ever added powdered goldenseal or myrrh to soap? I'd love to read input on what additions would be best to use in a soap specifically designed for first aid.

Just a warning. Making an antiseptic soap for yourself is great, but use EXTREME CAUTION if you, or anyone else is thinking about selling an 'antiseptic soap for first aid'.

You would be crossing from soap right into drug territory.

I'm sure we've all read this a thousand times, but for posterity sake, here it is again.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-218.html

I would say that you are right on the money with tea tree and lavender. I think that they smell wonderful together. But if you think about it, soaps job, and action is to clean. So when you wash your hands with any soap, it should be removing dirt and bacteria, which essentially is all you want in an "antiseptic soap", to remove the dirt and bacteria from the cut or wound.
Also, aloe is a nice skin soother, so you could maybe discount your water some and add the same amount of aloe vera juice or pulp.

you can also add witch hazel to your soap along with the other ingredients that the other soaps have mentioned! :wink:

Great ideas

Thanks for the reminder, Deda. I wouldn't sell this soap. But your caution is appropriate and I appreciate you raising a caution flag.

Aloe Vera juice and Witch Hazel are both great suggestions! I plan on including both in my first First Aid bars.

eucalyptus can also be a good accompanier with tea tree.
Also cinnamon has anti-microbial properties (and smells great!).

Check out these links to journal papers on the anti microbial effects of many different essential oils:
Each lists about 52....

Antimicrobial action of essential oils : the effect of
dimethylsulphoxide on the activity of cinnamon oil
(http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi- ... 8/PDFSTART)

Antimicrobial activity of essential oils and other plant extracts
(http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi- ... 1/PDFSTART)

One of the best things (from your kitchen) you can put on a cut that has been cleaned is honey. It has antibiotic properties. I have used it on myself and on my doggies, they really like it. Whether on the skin or ingested the antibotic properties follow. I don't know if the antibotic properties will hold up in soap.

Re: Drago = dragons ?

starduster said:
Cattleyabubbles said:
There's Sangre de Drago Oil as well. It's a bit on pricey side.

This sounds like something I should know about. No Dragons are hurt in the process I hope. :wink:

Nope, no dragon anything in this stuff. I made my own last week. I bought some Dragons Boood Resin & infused it into a light carrier oil. I sat the bottle on a candle warmer & just let it infuse for about 8 hours.

Last night I used it in a healing salve along with Tea Tree EO. I used it on a sore that was inside my nose that just wouldn't heal, & 24 hours later the sore is completely healed. That sore was there for weeks, & it would crack open & bleed. Now it's gone!!

Don't know if it was the Sangre de Drago or the Tea Tree EO or both, but it worked!!!

Sangre de Drago

mandolyn said:
I bought some Dragons Boood Resin & infused it into a light carrier oil. I sat the bottle on a candle warmer & just let it infuse for about 8 hours.
Great tip! A million years ago I made something with Sangre de Drago (Dragon's blood). I think it was a foot wash. It sounds like an excellent addition to a first aid soap. I think I'll also add it to my homemade linament the next time I make a batch.

Re: Thanks

starduster said:
Thankyou I will try that.
I can bring my pet Dragons out of hiding now.
:D

:lol: My DGD & I were both born in the year of the Dragon, so anything to do with that most honored beasty is a favorite of mine. I personally believe that some of those so-called dinosaur bones were really dragons!! :lol:

Re: Thanks

mandolyn said:
starduster said:
Thankyou I will try that.
I can bring my pet Dragons out of hiding now.
:D

:lol: My DGD & I were both born in the year of the Dragon, so anything to do with that most honored beasty is a favorite of mine. I personally believe that some of those so-called dinosaur bones were really dragons!! :lol:
Me too. Guess what, I was also born in the year of the Dragon. I am a 52 Water Dragon. I love water.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back