Another Crockpot Rebatch Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silmaryll

Reaction score
Hello all! And Happy New Year! :)

I am new to the forum and have only been soaping since end of September 2014. While I have made quite a few batches of CP soap, and tested rebatching using the baggie method described in Bramble Berry's blog, I have 2 recipes that I made end of September that I want to rebatch together and need some answers before I proceed.

I am attaching a pic of my SoapCalc recipe of both the soaps I'm wanting to rebatch combined into one soap. What I did is weigh the total of each soap to be rebatched, then added the Oil and Lye amounts to come up with the values entered into my SoapCalc recipe.

My biggest question before I proceed with this Crockpot Rebatch is whether I should add more Lye to my combined recipe or not, since the Vanilla soap that failed is still super mushy (you can squish it with your fingers)? The pumpkin soap I am unhappy with is super hard and stings on the skin, though it did not zap me or my boyfriend when we did the zap test the other night.

And if so, at what stage should I be adding the Lye, if necessary? Since Lye reacts with Milk, should I wait until the soap has melted in the Crockpot before adding Lye, if necessary (as I am soaking the soap I am shredding/food-processing overnight in Goat's Milk)???

I have been scouring the internet for answers and am not finding a clear answer to either question of whether I need to add lye to fix my recipe or not, or at what stage to add it to the crockpot rebatch.

CombinedVanilla-Pumpkin_zpse24a7ed0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So I was able to get an answer off the Facebook group Hot Processors. I am not adding lye to the solution, nor the Castor Oil (as it won't saponify). Honey, Sugar, and Sea Salt will be added (not simultaneously). I am not worried about brown color, as the soap is already brown. The Rebatch soap will be topped with a Goats Milk CP soap when both soaps are at 90-100*F.

Resolved.
Thanks for looking all. :)

With that high a percentage of palm you certainly do not need to add in salt. It will be hard enough. Any oils added into rebatch will add to the superfat unless your soap was lye heavy to begin with, which yours is not unless you had a weight problem with your lye. ie, mis-measured or your scale is off. If could be your pumpkin did not emulsify well or trace properly it could very well not set up properly and/or severely overheated batter can also remain soft and takes months to harden.

Latest posts

Back