An Idea...any advice?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbleBitch

Reaction score
As I mentioned in the introductory post, I am quite the soap-making virgin...so please humor my questions!

For my first two batches, I want to make a mint soap and one clean, sort of fresh cotton / linen.

1. If I were to make some MP glycerin soap, cut it into chunks, would it be ok to add it to the CP soap? When is a good time to do that? While pouring into the mold? I want to add texture and visual diversity to the soap.

2. I've seen alot of people are using Tussah silk in soap. From what I understand, this is an actual textile. How would one go about integrating it into the CP process? Where can I get this?

Any and all comments are welcome!

BubbleBitch said:
As I mentioned in the introductory post, I am quite the soap-making virgin...so please humor my questions!

For my first two batches, I want to make a mint soap and one clean, sort of fresh cotton / linen.

1. If I were to make some MP glycerin soap, cut it into chunks, would it be ok to add it to the CP soap? When is a good time to do that? While pouring into the mold? I want to add texture and visual diversity to the soap.

Yes, you can add MP to CP, most certainly. I've done it quite often. I add it at trace, right before I pour into my mold.

BubbleBitch said:
2. I've seen alot of people are using Tussah silk in soap. From what I understand, this is an actual textile. How would one go about integrating it into the CP process? Where can I get this?

I use tussa noil silk in every batch. I take a pinch of it (about 1/4 to a 1/2 of a cottonball size), separate the fibers very very thin, and then add it to my water before I mix the lye in. The lye dissolves the silk as you stir.

HTH! :)
IrishLass

I can't thank you enough for your suggestions!

I will look into the Tussah Silk...I wonder though, I plan on listing it on my ingredients list, but, it's not an item that has a propensity to be an allergen, right? :twisted:

I've not ever heard of it being an allergen, but since one never knows what some people will be allergic to, I always make sure to list all my ingredients, just in case. :)

IrishLass

Thank you Lass!

Ok, tmrw. I am off to source some ingredients locally and I could use all the help you guys are willing to dish out!

Making the CP (Cold Pressed / Cold Process, which one is it?) soap seems easy to do but easy to mess up. I am aware of this but will still go brave!

Things I do not understand:
1. What is the purpose of the Soap Calculators? How do I use them?

2. Regarding Essential Oils and Fragrance Oils; Do I use both or one? Do essential oils contribute to fragrance? I read that Fragrance Oils contain alcohol and can ruin soap making...how true is this? If so, when is a good time to incorporate them into the soap?

3. I would like to make a soap exclusively with Coconut Oil and Olive Oil...but I've read that you need a "hard fat"? Is this 100% necessary? Can't I just mix and heat both the oils, add the lye water, add the colorings and exfoliating herbals and mold?

I guess to most of you these questions seem trite, but, I must reiterate my inexperience and enthusiasm about this venture...so again, yur help is welcome!

Thank you both for replying... :twisted:

Gonna read some more and try to understand the SoapCalcs.

The link re: basics, was very helpful. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back