Am I ready to sell???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mandolyn said:
I have another customer who purchases soap in Jan to give as gifts in Dec. If I want that sale (& it's a large sale), my soaps better be good & still have scent come Dec 25th!! That's my responsibility as a reputable soapmaker.

People often buy soap to give as gifts & end up putting them away & forgetting about them. When they finally run across that soap, I don't want it to have DOS, or rancid oils, or it to be without scent.

This is me. I buy stuff all year long for Christmas. If I am at a show in May & see amazing soap, I'll buy 2 dozen bars & save them as stocking stuffers. I expect them to be fabulous come December. People do stock up at shows. They are not sure they will ever see you again so they make sure they get enought to last, so it had better- last that is :wink: .

mandolyn said:
If you're out in the soaping community selling soap that goes rancid or develops DOS at month 8, I'm not ok with that. I want you to get out of sales, & continue to develop your soap to a higher standard.

As for playing Devil's advocate, I would've appreciated a straightforward approach much more, for what it's worth. Just saying...

I am not in sales in any way, shape, or form...I have even refused to accept barter for my soap at this point. I was only THINKING of selling...a thought that has now been put on the back-burner as I consider the info I've recieved on this forum...
With the exception of my (after re-reading it many times) admittedly ignorant and quite rude comment about the longevity of my soap, I thought that I WAS being straightforward in my approach of asking the much more experienced soapmakers on this forum their opinions on selling...however in the lack of nuance of an actual face-to-face conversation, my intentions were wrongly misconstrued as attempts to stir up trouble. I felt like I was ready to make the leap to buy insurance and sell on a very small level. The reason for my post was simply to see if anyone had any ideas on why I should NOT...hence the "Devil's Advocate" comments...

cerelife said:
mandolyn said:
If you're out in the soaping community selling soap that goes rancid or develops DOS at month 8, I'm not ok with that. I want you to get out of sales, & continue to develop your soap to a higher standard.

As for playing Devil's advocate, I would've appreciated a straightforward approach much more, for what it's worth. Just saying...

I am not in sales in any way, shape, or form...I have even refused to accept barter for my soap at this point. I was only THINKING of selling...a thought that has now been put on the back-burner as I consider the info I've recieved on this forum...
With the exception of my (after re-reading it many times) admittedly ignorant and quite rude comment about the longevity of my soap, I thought that I WAS being straightforward in my approach of asking the much more experienced soapmakers on this forum their opinions on selling...however in the lack of nuance of an actual face-to-face conversation, my intentions were wrongly misconstrued as attempts to stir up trouble. I felt like I was ready to make the leap to buy insurance and sell on a very small level. The reason for my post was simply to see if anyone had any ideas on why I should NOT...hence the "Devil's Advocate" comments...

If it makes you feel any better, that's how I read your post. :eek:)

Latest posts

Back