Always compare shipping cost with order $$

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER

If you are looking for the better deal on product that you are comparing between 2 known good sources..... check shipping.

Shipping is the one place where many over price.

Also check size for size. If one is a bit less product get the price PER OZ and then figure it from there.

Some places have free shipping but that doesn't always make it a lower price.

Like now I have to have oil shipped to me so I can no longer pick up locally.
Shipping from Soapers Choice was cheaper then here at Jedwards.

I agree. I can get stuff shipped from me from across the country cheaper than having it shipped from 1 state away, even though the price for the actual product is cheaper from the supplier closer to me. Not a bargain the one close ships to me for $200 and the cross country place ships to me for $60...

I compare periodically to see if anything changes. I generally do one or two big bulk buys. Soaper's Choice is pretty much always my best bet. Fortunately I can now purchase 50 lbs of lard from a restaurant by my parents for pretty cheap.

I compare periodically to see if anything changes. I generally do one or two big bulk buys. Soaper's Choice is pretty much always my best bet. Fortunately I can now purchase 50 lbs of lard from a restaurant by my parents for pretty cheap.
I haven't experimented with lard/tallow yet (and this may sound like a dumb question) but do you have a separate refrigerator for your lard/tallow? I would think you would not store it in a personal use refrigerator due to cross-contamination. I would think they have an expiration date, correct? I've never bought lard or tallow before and know nothing about them except their animal fats.

That is an interesting question, newlee. I have never refrigerated lard. Long before I stopped eating meat products I used to cook with lard and never refrigerated it. I kept it in the pantry the same as if it was Crisco.

But as far as cross-contamination, unless you maintain a kosher kitchen, I am not sure why it would be necessary to worry about cross contamination of animal fats with your personal use refrigerator.

EDIT: So I just asked my son, who has been a chef for a number of years about refrigerating lard. He said that if it is vegetable lard, like the Manteca brand, it does not need to be refrigerated. But if it is true lard, then yes, it does. So all those years I was cooking with lard when I was young, it wasn't really lard! I am truly surprised by this! Now I am going to have to go to a grocery store and start reading labels!!

Last edited:
That is an interesting question, newlee. I have never refrigerated lard. Long before I stopped eating meat products I used to cook with lard and never refrigerated it. I kept it in the pantry the same as if it was Crisco.

But as far as cross-contamination, unless you maintain a kosher kitchen, I am not sure why it would be necessary to worry about cross contamination of animal fats with your personal use refrigerator.

EDIT: So I just asked my son, who has been a chef for a number of years about refrigerating lard. He said that if it is vegetable lard, like the Manteca brand, it does not need to be refrigerated. But if it is true lard, then yes, it does. So all those years I was cooking with lard when I was young, it wasn't really lard! I am truly surprised by this! Now I am going to have to go to a grocery store and start reading labels!!

By “vegetable lard” Maybe he meant the hydrogenated form of lard with preservatives, that behaves like vegetable shortening? The product shown below is lard plus hydrogenated lard. I posted the English side of the label here:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...iment-with-vegan-lard-soap.75734/#post-778642

A3CDF286-2387-4FE5-89E0-C55C0B6F77CE.jpeg

Okay. If I ever used lard it would be the hydrogenated kind. Don't want to mess with refrigeration.

I haven't experimented with lard/tallow yet (and this may sound like a dumb question) but do you have a separate refrigerator for your lard/tallow? I would think you would not store it in a personal use refrigerator due to cross-contamination. I would think they have an expiration date, correct? I've never bought lard or tallow before and know nothing about them except their animal fats.

I don't refrigerate mine either. But then, when I get it, I'm generally making a lot of soap. I buy 50 lbs 2-3 times a year in general.

Latest posts

Back