Alternatives for Palm oil! HARMFUL TO THE EARTH!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BakingNana said:
Great points. I'm in the states; I've begun buying my PO from Soapers Choice (Columbus Foods). Organic and sustainable. It's a few cents more, but to me it's worth it. Have not taken delivery on it yet, so I haven't tried it to date.

...and the way I understand it from what I've read through NIH, ricin (the poison in castor) is not oil soluble and virtually none remains in the oil. It's the 'virtually' part that would keep me from ingesting it. :lol:

it's the "not being close enough to a toilet" part that stops me from ingesting it...although I do have it in my lip balms. :lol:

Hello:

My choice of oils is driven by availability and other factors. Since I am still a hobbyist and I do not drive, I only use oils that I can find and carry home from my local stores. There are no large Supermarkets nearby so I shop at convenience stores and Ma and Pa stores. I also have not started to formulate my own recipes, so I am still using soap "cookbooks". To your question I have found several recipes that do not use Palm Oil. My friends and neighbours who use my soap seem happy with the formulas. Whereas I do attempt to buy organic oils, I do not do so exclusively.

Now, if I start to order supplies online, I would seek a sustainable source of Palm Oil. However, I am aware that some of my grocery store oils may have been acquired or extracted using less than desirable methods, but I don't know for sure. Perhaps I don't want to know this.

I do the best I can with the knowledge I have and make the choices that I feel comfortable with within the confines of best soaping practices.

If you wish a few recipes, I will happily send them to you.

Warm regards,

P.S. Yes, PO is in EVERYTHING.

ALWAYS love to see recipes!!! I order a lot of specialty stuff on line that I can't find in local venues. Love having things delivered right to my door. I find that the on-line vendors are more than willing to tell you what their sources are, and the internet is a great source of info on how different oils are or can be extracted. That's where I discovered CO/hexane; now I know to avoid it.

Will do soon then.

You are absolutely right about utilizing the vendors for their expert knowledge. You don't get that shopping the local stores. When I start to order online I shall ensure that I engage them.

Take care,

I heard my name being mentioned so thought I'd pitch in :)
Thanks AGriffin & Mad Piano for the kind words.
From my point of view, consumers are really starting to look for palm oil free soap or palm from sustainable sources. I know there are problems associated with the palm oil plantations in Malaysia, if the demand drops what will they do? It's unlikely, the cosmetics industry is a drop in the ocean in terms of usage but personally I don't wish to be part of the problem which is why I cut out palm all together.
I would also make sure that if you are buying sustainable palm that the supplier can tell you where it comes from & back it up.
That said, you can make great soap without palm and without animal fats, it just takes time & experimentation.

I used to live in Malaysia and heck I used to be a Malaysian citizen! As far as I know, most palm oil form Malaysia are from plantation, so how can they cause deforestation or kill Orangutan?

I would say it's the scare tactics that has emerged recently attacking the cosmetics industry and soapers like us. As long as your palm oil is from a reputable source, I would say they are fine and you should not have any guilty feeling.

I have to agree with you, karajan. It's wonderful to hear from someone who has seen the Malaysian plantations firsthand. So many people depend on them for their livelihood. I'm just as concerned about the orangs as anyone, and I don't think Malaysian plantations do anything but support a population and put oxygen into the air. Sometimes we let our good intentions get in the way of reality.

My favourite basic recipe to avoid Palm Oil is this:

75% Olive Oil
20% Coconut Oil
5% Castor Oil

This recipe is used a lot in Italy. It guarantees hardness to the soap, but at the same time, it's gentle with the skin and assures a good foam.

Hope it can help :wink:

Bukawww said:
I also have issue with all sorts of labeling stateside...it really bothers me that things can be left out or labeled as such when it is untrue. 0 Trans fat should be ZERO trans fat...not trace amounts, etc kwim?
Then the food we eat would say "trace amounts of rat feces, cockroach parts, larvae, parasites" to name a few, on the labels. Money would be lost, causing jobs to be lost, more people would go hungry, etc.
If you don't believe me, google "Food Defect Action Levels."
I'm sorry if I ruined anyone's appetite or faith in the food industry :S

miaow said:
Bukawww said:
I also have issue with all sorts of labeling stateside...it really bothers me that things can be left out or labeled as such when it is untrue. 0 Trans fat should be ZERO trans fat...not trace amounts, etc kwim?
Then the food we eat would say "trace amounts of rat feces, cockroach parts, larvae, parasites" to name a few, on the labels. Money would be lost, causing jobs to be lost, more people would go hungry, etc.
If you don't believe me, google "Food Defect Action Levels."
I'm sorry if I ruined anyone's appetite or faith in the food industry :S

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...unfortunately, TRUE!!

Latest posts

Back