almost all olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I know you can use100% olive oil to make a nice gentle soap , but I was thinking of making a batch with 80% olive oil and 20% coconut oil to help with the lather and speed of hardening. How's this look?

520 grams Olive oil
130 grams Coconut oil
250 grams of water
90 grams of lye

10 ml (2 teaspoons) of sweet orange EO
10 ml (2 teaspoons) of spruce EO

Hubby's favorite soap is 70% OO and 30% CO. He likes it at 5% SF, but let's me bump it to 10% ( I find it too drying at 5% with 30 % CO). So sure, give it a try. What's the super fat for yours?

Hubby's favorite soap is 70% OO and 30% CO. He likes it at 5% SF, but let's me bump it to 10% ( I find it too drying at 5% with 30 % CO). So sure, give it a try. What's the super fat for yours?

The SF here would be 5% - I figured with all the olive oil it wouldn't need more than that...though I don't have the experience yet to know for sure...my first three batches of soap are still curing...though tomorrow will be 2 weeks for the first one, so it might be time for me to at least give it a try :-D

How about 72% OliveOil, 20% CoconutOil and 8% CastorOil, SF5%.
My favorite BastilleSoap - with or without FO

With a 30% Coconutoil I would also up the SF to 10%

I love to use lots of olive oil. I usually add in a little castor oil, too.

JLem, your recipe uses full water. You might consider cutting the water a little bit, if you want your soap to harden quickly. When I use 70% OO and full water, I sometimes have to wait 2 or 3 days before I can cut my soaps.

I love to use lots of olive oil. I usually add in a little castor oil, too.

JLem, your recipe uses full water. You might consider cutting the water a little bit, if you want your soap to harden quickly. When I use 70% OO and full water, I sometimes have to wait 2 or 3 days before I can cut my soaps.

Thanks for the input. I have only ever used the default water value given in SoapCalc...38% water. How much can I reduce it?

You can try a 33% lye solution if you haven't discounted liquid before. Your sweet orange probably won't stick.

You can try a 33% lye solution if you haven't discounted liquid before. Your sweet orange probably won't stick.

33% water (relative to oil amounts)? Or 33% lye solution?

Also, why won't the orange "stick"?

Citrus EOs are notorious for getting eaten up by the soaping proces. My first soap had sweet orange and tea tree EOs, and I could only smell the tea tree by the time I unmolded it, and the orange hasn't come back after the cure or in use.

Back