All purpose soap, how to

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zapper

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm all new to making soap, but it seems really fun and I'd like to give it a go. Would be fun to try to make an all purpose soap that I could use while hiking, on anything from body and hair to dishes. Prefarably in liquid form.

If any of you have any good tips, recipes, how-to's I'd greatly appreciate it.

In advance, thanks!

Last edited:
Short answer -- there is no one soap that will serve all purposes well. A soap that is best for dishes might be a liquid soap made from all coconut oil, while a soap that is best for skin may be a mildly cleansing bar soap, whereas a soap for hair depends so much on your hair that it's hard to answer at all.

I recommend searching this forum for existing threads that may help answer your questions. Go to google or your favorite search engine and do this search:

keyword1 keyword2 site:soapmakingforum.com

where keyword1, keyword2, etc. are your search terms followed by the phrase site:soapmakingforum.com to restrict the search to SMF.

Other issues to help you narrow down your focus:
Are you vegan and cannot use any animal products?
Do you have ethical or personal restrictions on using other products, such as fragrance oils, lard, tallow, palm oil, palm kernel oil, castor oil, etc?
Do you have allergies, acne, or other skin issues?
What kinds of fats are available in your part of the world to make soap from?

Hello and Welcome! I highly suggest you read the forum (I read every single post from the beginning) and you will gain so much information. If after searching and reading you still have questions, please feel free to ask. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum and a lot of really smart, talented people.

another place to checkout is Miller Soap. They have some good starter recipes and information.

Last edited:
You also need to go get familiar with the liquid soap forum. It is where you will find your information on making liquid soaps.

Just a thought, but I make liquid soap paste that I keep in tubes(like large lip balm tubes), that I call Soap2Go. I have only made hand/body soap thus far, but it works very well for handwashing and showers. I do use 100% Coconut Oil paste to wash dishes and clean counters and such. There is no reason whatsoever that that could not also be shoved into a tube. And my tubes last a really long time. Just be sure to label them appropriately.

Well the idea came to me after seeing this soap:

https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/204882060/utilitarian-field-soap-8-oz-all-purpose?ref=related-5

Would be fun to make something similar.

Wow whomever runs that store is treading very shaky ground. The drug claims are blatant! The FDA would have a field day with their field soap!

Quoting from the store: Our Field Soap is used by the founder and many others as a face wash. It has been noted to clear acne, even skin tone, and eliminate problematic skin.

Personally I would not trust any of their recipes based on the fact that they don't even seem to know the law as it pertains to what they are selling! It is very sad that people read that and believe it!

If it happen to wash my face with coconut oil soap I may need to be seen by a dermatologist. One time I used a bar of soap with some coconut oil to wash my mouth and l suffered for almost 2 months.

Wow whomever runs that store is treading very shaky ground. The drug claims are blatant! The FDA would have a field day with their field soap!

Quoting from the store: Our Field Soap is used by the founder and many others as a face wash. It has been noted to clear acne, even skin tone, and eliminate problematic skin.

Personally I would not trust any of their recipes based on the fact that they don't even seem to know the law as it pertains to what they are selling! It is very sad that people read that and believe it!

I noticed the exact same thing. Makes me crazy.

Also, no weights listed on the products listed on the front. Probably not labeled correctly either.

Well the idea came to me after seeing this soap:

https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/204882060/utilitarian-field-soap-8-oz-all-purpose?ref=related-5

Would be fun to make something similar.

Just because you read it on the internet, it MUST be true, right?

Yeah, not so much.

Take my word for this, the soap you use on your dishes and floors is not going to be very skin or hair friendly. And vice versa. You don't want extra oils on dishes or floors, but on your body and hair, they are pretty nice.

Learn to make basic liquid soap, then play with your recipes yourself.

Also; never, ever trust anyone who advertises that their soap does anything but clean. They are already illegal in their advertisement, what makes you think they would be honest or aboveboard in any other facet of their business?

On that note, lifeventure, which is a pretty big and known company also makes something similar:

https://www.lifeventure.co.uk/product/washgear/all-purpose-soap

Guess they have money to test it on animals or something.

That is detergent. They even state it is so.

From the site:
This concentrated formula lathers well in both fresh and brackish water and can be used on hair, body, the dishes, non-technical clothing and even fresh food. It’s an antibacterial, pH-balanced and biodegradable soap which goes a long way.
Travel Tip…
The essential all-in-one detergent for anyone who wants to travel light.

Notice they do not make drug claims that it will cure your acne or help your dry cracked skin.
If you want to make an all purpose detergent that might be possible. Go to swiftmonkeys blog. She's pretty up on all ingredients including the ones you will need.

Last edited:

As I read about the company it seems it's UK base. I wonder how she passed the EU laws on cosmetics.

Just because you read it on the internet, it MUST be true, right?

Yeah, not so much.

Take my word for this, the soap you use on your dishes and floors is not going to be very skin or hair friendly. And vice versa. You don't want extra oils on dishes or floors, but on your body and hair, they are pretty nice.

Learn to make basic liquid soap, then play with your recipes yourself.

Also; never, ever trust anyone who advertises that their soap does anything but clean. They are already illegal in their advertisement, what makes you think they would be honest or aboveboard in any other facet of their business?

I don't believe what they said that all purpose. If I use 100% coconut with 0% SF to wash my dishes, I need to wear gloves because it dry my hand while if I use 100% coconut soap with 18-20 SF on my hair. My hair turn greasy and wet. So I make different bar for my dish washing, for my face ( castile) and for my hair.

Hi!

I'm all new to making soap, but it seems really fun and I'd like to give it a go. Would be fun to try to make an all purpose soap that I could use while hiking, on anything from body and hair to dishes. Prefarably in liquid form.

If any of you have any good tips, recipes, how-to's I'd greatly appreciate it.

In advance, thanks!

20% coconut, 80% any other oil/fat, makes a pretty good all round soap. I use plenty of that for washing clothes, dishes etc at home. All my soaps are superfatted at 10% and it makes no difference at all when using it for cleaning. My glasses dry perfectly clear, no smears and my clothes come out clean. I think the presence of superfat is a bit over-rated, as it generally gets washed off by the soap salts anyway. It's main purpose is to ensure the soap isn't accidentally lye heavy.

Last edited:
If it happen to wash my face with coconut oil soap I may need to be seen by a dermatologist. One time I used a bar of soap with some coconut oil to wash my mouth and l suffered for almost 2 months.

did you stop talking dirty?
Sorry, could not resist, first thing I thought of when I read washing mouth with soap. LOL

The 100% coconut oil soap (0SF) I make for laundry is fantastic for washing my linoleum floor, but just handling it dry dries out my hands. I can't imagine actually washing my face and body with it.

Back