air pockets in wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly My Pretty

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I'm having. I made a few candles earlier this week which have deep holes or air pockets close to the wick. I haven't been doing anything different than usual as far as I know but over the last 2 weeks I've noticed these happening and also with the wax climbing up the wick and making those small mounds more than usual. Other than the fact that it's been a bit colder the past few weeks I really don't know what could be making this happen. Any ideas?

I've also tried melting the top with a hair dryer but it still seems to set funny. Also I use Ecosoya Advanced if that helps any.

candleproblem.png

It could possibly be the weather and affected the cooling rate of the wax. You can pour the wax at 52C or as low as 38C if the wax is kept in motion up until pouring. Cooling too quick can cause concaving or cracking and different containers have different cooling rates. Large jars cool slower and require a low pour temp - 52C and long tall jars cool fast and require a higher pour temp - 69C. Melt some more wax and fill up the hole and a little bit more on the top and that should smooth it off or dig it out and start again. In this cold weather I've noticed the wax cooling quite quick, so maybe you can make the candles on the weekend in the middle of the day when its at its warmest and see if this helps. :)

Thanks for the reply Relle, I have tried to slow down the cooling time by keeping them in a pre-warmed over and even tried sitting a candle in a bowl of hot/warm water until it set. But yes I think I'll have to keep my candlemaking to during the day instead of at night when the temperature's dropped :D

I dont make many candles but a video I watched showed them putting a popcycle stick down by the wick after it had cooled abit and then repouring to prevent this. Someone with greater knowledge might know if this works or not but it might be worth a try.

Yes I agree with Relle and at the moment with the cold weather here I pour in the warmest part of the day with my jars sat in a carboard box and I wrap a handtowel around the freshly poured jars and then no problems

It is most definately a temp issue.

The out side is cooling far faster than the center.
I would actually reduce my pouring temp...what does your wax look like when pouring?
still quite liquid?
Thick liquid with small particles of thickening wax?
Slushy and very thick?

If it were me, I'd be shooting for somewhere between the last two...even though CB advanced says to pour at a higher temp...I wouldn't with the issues you are having..

Thanks for the replies Lyn & Flameflight :)

I've taken to using the heater to warm up the kitchen so it's not quite so cold when I'm making my candles and as I work full time as well I find the only time I really get to make them is at night when it's obviously cooler. But I find they're setting a lot better now when I pre heat the room.

And for Flameflight I'm pouring at 60 degrees celcius so it's still liquid, would it be better to pour at a lower temp then? I'l try pouring between 40 & 50 degress & see how I go with that :)

It has been a long while since I played with the EcoSoy waxes..
But yes, I wouldn't pour until it's thickening up more. I go by the feel and look of the wax when I stir it..not a specific temp. :mrgreen:
So temp wise I can't be specific at all.

I've come back to this..I see that your picture is showing a wooden wick..I'm wondering if the larger surface of the wick has something to do with it too?
I've not ever tested one myself..thought about it..but haven't yet..

Have you tried repouring cooler? How did it go?

I tried pouring at a cooler temp 2 nights ago & so far so good, I had a lot less problems than I usually do so thanks so much for the advice :D
I do find that I have more cracking problems in the wax using the wooden wicks but nothing any where as bad as the photo I posted since then & pre heating the room has helped a lot too, to eliminate any air pockets.

Glad it helped to do so...is there a way to preprime the wick in your wax? Something for the freshly poured wax to hold on to?

Just thoughts...because like I said..no experience.. :mrgreen:

Its warmed up a little now so you shouldn't be having too many problems. It will be 14 overnight on Thursday so that should help. Its nearly spring anyway, yeahhhh.

You can use a heat gun to remelt the top..hair dryers dont do the job..
The holes are stress holes..pouring too fast is one cause..you need to stir the wax along as it sets..
When the candle starts setting poke 3-4 holes into the wax.. these allieviate the wax stress and you refill these holes later..
filling in the holes in the wax..

Try attaching the wick in place using the skewer..after its set cut the skewer off..
you can push the wick into place as the bottom sets and will hold it..
or you can use stickums, tabbed wicks or a metal skewer that has been sprayed with silicon..
much easier to get out..

http://www.candlemaking.com.au/epages/c ... he_candle1

I just noticed you're in sydney..Pay a visit to Lyn and Doug @ The All Australian Candle Supplies in Arcadia
they terrific people and they run workshops on soap and candle making..

Latest posts

Back