After Pouring..HELP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tina05

Reaction score
Hi guys,
As I said before, I am a rookie. I keep having issues with temp after pouring. It has happened twice that I put the soap to insulate, so it could go through gel phase but I don’t know how long should I do that for, because it has cracked in the middle. I live in south FL so it is hot. Please advice how long should I insulate for to keep the bright colors but not cracking. Thanks

No, there is no set temp. Soap will get darker and jello like when in full gel.

You'll need to check it every hour or so, once its completly dark unwrap. Some recipes can also overheat and crack before going into gel.

I get often get cracking when I try to gel so I never encourage gel anymore. I just let the soap do what it wants to.

Here is a photo of gelling soap vs not gelling. The gel one isn't quite complete as it hasn't reached the ends yet.

Attachments

• soap-gelling-1024x768.jpg
    soap-gelling-1024x768.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 24
No, there is no set temp. Soap will get darker and jello like when in full gel.

You'll need to check it every hour or so, once its completly dark unwrap. Some recipes can also overheat and crack before going into gel.

I get often get cracking when I try to gel so I never encourage gel anymore. I just let the soap do what it wants to.

Here is a photo of gelling soap vs not gelling. The gel one isn't quite complete as it hasn't reached the ends yet.
Thank you Obsidian! That was very helpful! I will try to continue practicing 🤗

Hi guys,
As I said before, I am a rookie. I keep having issues with temp after pouring. It has happened twice that I put the soap to insulate, so it could go through gel phase but I don’t know how long should I do that for, because it has cracked in the middle. I live in south FL so it is hot. Please advice how long should I insulate for to keep the bright colors but not cracking. Thanks
Gelling is an issue that I have spent a lot of time researching. If you can post your recipe I can help you a lot more.

I like to get my soap up to at least 110°f for about 2 hours. I check on it after 30 minutes and 1 hour, if it is not braining, cracking or anything else I let keep going for at least 3 hours.

This is all based on my recipes, so without knowing yours I can't get specific about your situation.

While the above picture is a great example of soap that is in full gel it is also a soap that is in a full very hot gel that could be a borderline volcano. I am referring to the crack, if that soap became any hotter it could have very possibly become a volcano.

I gel all my soaps, while I do not take temps I do prefer them to not go into as hot a gel as in the above pic. Sometimes my soaps will turn a distinctive color change sometimes not. If I am in doubt I will lift the lid on the low crates I put my molds in for gelling l and lightly touch the top of the soap if it is loose and feels liquidy it is gelling so the lid and blankets go back on. I am also checking for any telltale signs of cracking because I force gel with heats pads and blankets. If I feel it is starting to overheat I will remove the mold from the crate put it in another crate sit that crate on a rack with the lid off and a fan directed at and over the top of the crate but not directly on the soap. I do not want the air blowing directly on the soap in case there is still liquid spots. Once it has sufficiently stopped overheating I recover the crate and leave it covered until ready to cut. I do check once in a while to make sure it has not heated back up. I prefer to leave my soaps covered until I cut because I find it cuts down on ash.
That was a long answer that may or may not have helped because I do not take temps, I go my sight. 😁

Latest posts

Back