advice please for my formula

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

athena

Reaction score
Hey guys, i wonder if anyone could give me some advice regarding the recipe I'm using for wax tarts, I get great cold throw, but the hot throw is minimal, and lasts an hour max :(

This is what I'm doing......

100g advanced soy wax
7g bipol x
20ml oil

Melting bipol to 185 degree fahrenheit
Add wax and melt to 175 degree fahrenheit
Add oil 165 degree fahrenheit
Pour at 150 degree fahrenheit

Should I be adding some paraffin wax, or is it my temperatures?

Many thanks for your time

I use soy wax with a little beeswax and a little palm stearic. I have used both fragrance oils and essential oil blends for my wax tarts. I get a good hot throw and a good scent when the tarts are cold. Are you using fragrance oils made especially for soy wax?

I use soy wax with a little beeswax and a little palm stearic. I have used both fragrance oils and essential oil blends for my wax tarts. I get a good hot throw and a good scent when the tarts are cold. Are you using fragrance oils made especially for soy wax?

Hi there, thank you for your reply

Yes I am, I have made sure that the fo's are for soy and have been given a good review........

I thought it might be my temperatures that were affecting the hot throw, I have only just started making tarts but just can't seem to get them to throw :(

My favorite wax it from Rustic Escentuals it is the Parasoy wax for Tarts KY Candles supply used to carry it until they sold out their business to RE.

I have heard mixed reviews for soy. The upside seems to be that the clean-up is a breeze, but the downside is that they can be tricky to get good scent throw out of. My limited experience with tarts has been exactly that, soy is sooooo much easier to work with, but the paraffin is a much better end result. YMMV. Maybe try a 50/50 blend and see if you like that better?

The advanced wax you're using, change it to another soy wax. I wasted a LOT of money on that stuff before I realized it was the wax... Excellent cold throw, NO hot throw.

You could try a parasoy blend. I am working on my own "recipe" for tarts right now and I'm blending various waxes with the same scent. I want to see which one throws the scent the best with my tart warmers.

Placement of tart warmers can make or break you as well. I have had the same scent, with the same recipe throw well upstairs and nothing downstairs. I moved my warmer and then filled my house with scent. The air conditioner or an open window or a fan can screw up the scent throw.

And, at the end of the day, some fragrances just don't work. I love one from Peaks, Cinnaberries. I have tried it as a wax tart, a candle, a pillar candle, I have overloaded the wax with scent etc. Nothing. Cold throw is there, no hot throw. I eventually gave up and moved on.

Also, soy wax needs a cure time. Usually a week or two. I love my parasoy blends the most so far.

Back