Advice On How To Use EO In Products

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nienna

Reaction score
Hi,
So still new to all this. Doing a lot of research as I was to try make a small 'lifestyle' business in my small town, selling my own products. I know often fragrances are seen as a negative so for somethings I was to use essential oils instead of fragrance oil, not just for the fragrance but also for the therapeutic value. So how do I know how much to add? What is the safe usage? I plan on using it mainly in balms but also eventually shampoo, conditioner and maybe body wash and more.

I have tried doing my own research but the internet can been a trial to wade through, trying to discern what is accurate and what is false has proven to be a full time job in itself.

Reliable suppliers usually always post the suggested usage rate with the description of their products.

I tried EO calc, and i got lost, i couldn't figure it out, and thought it was more about how to blend oils. Maybe im just an idiot!

I have a book that tells me the maximum usage rate for each essential oil, but im getting confused on how much to use in 100g lip balm recipes, and a loaf mould of soap or even a half batch of soap. If anyone can help, it'd be appreciated...

Say i have an essential oil and the maximum usage rate is 0.13% (1.3g), is that per pound of oil or per total batch? My total amount of oil just now in my recipe is 794g, and that's from the nerdy farm wife book. The total batch size is 1129g.

I tried EO calc, and i got lost, i couldn't figure it out, and thought it was more about how to blend oils. Maybe im just an idiot!

I have a book that tells me the maximum usage rate for each essential oil, but im getting confused on how much to use in 100g lip balm recipes, and a loaf mould of soap or even a half batch of soap. If anyone can help, it'd be appreciated...

Say i have an essential oil and the maximum usage rate is 0.13% (1.3g), is that per pound of oil or per total batch? My total amount of oil just now in my recipe is 794g, and that's from the nerdy farm wife book. The total batch size is 1129g.
I am going to encourage you to take another try at Find Free Essential Oil Blends - Essential Oil Calculator and double-check that you have the correct website. You can choose blends that are already there. Or you can make your own blends. Plug in the percentages, type in the weight, and choose what product (e.g. lip products) and voila you get safe usage rates.

I am strongly encouraging you to try again because you'll want to be safe when making products -- especially leave-on products like lip balms.

You got this!

I am strongly encouraging you to try again because you'll want to be safe when making products -- especially leave-on products like lip balms.
I tried it again, read it through properly and managed to work it out. But, i noticed that there's alot of essential oils missing from the list, like rose otto, blue chamomile, melissa (lemon balm), etc. Do you know why that is? Or is there a different EO calculator with more oils listed?

Back