Adding your Biz name on your Canopy tent ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
So I was perusing Craigs List which is my favorite past time for great finds.

I see Fabric spray paint and stencils which got me thinking.

Has anyone done their own lettering of their Canopy Tent ?

I wonder what would be the best paint/spray to use that will last in the Sun/Rain/Cold etc.

I believe my Caravan Canopy is made from Polyester and I just sprayed it with a rain shield water-proofer the last week.

Anyone ?

Just my thinking: I would skip doing the canopy itself and do a banner type sign to hang across the canopy. I started making my own banner earlier this summer... still haven't finished it... I think it's sitting on top of the hutch that I have to finish yet...

The other benefit to doing a banner, is that when indoor shows come around, you can still use the banner.

I don’t think I look at canopies for names. I think I look at a stall and, if I like it, I look for a banner at the back of the stall about eye height.

I think I’d steer away from painting you canopy incase you ever want to resell it.

Last edited:
I've had people come up to my booth and then look up at the canopy like they're looking for a name or some indication of what I'm selling. (I've turned away so many men who've come over thinking it was fudge or cheese...) The problem with having the banner at the back is that if there is a large crowd, or someone is specifically looking for you, you can't see it until you get there. At an arts festival last year I was specifically looking for my soapmaker friend and if she hadn't had her banner on the outside of the canopy, I would have walked right by her - there were soooo many people wandering between booths and crowded in around booths.

Don't use spraypaint on your canopy-it'll run and bleed and look awful. It'll look like you used spraypaint and stencils! When I was selling bonsai (anyone want one? still have some!) I had a 6 inch high paper banner made and laminated that I would then binderclip across the front of the canopy. I just typed up something (in my case it was Easy Care Bonsai) and took it to Staples, had them print it on the blueprint printer (it's by the square foot so it was cheap) and had it laminated. Cut out at least 1/4" border , mine was 1/2" I think of laminating to protect the paper. When done, I unclipped and rolled it back up and stuck it in a paper towel tube.

You could , if you wanted to go the fabric route, do it on a seperate piece of fabric and pin it to your canopy...then you can change it as needed or if you mess it up :)

I have a Banner but I got the 4' x 2' h one and it does not sit right in side the tent. Because I have the Caravan push up in the middle tent the bar gets in the way and I don't like it so far down.

I like the Fabric idea and pin to the tent.

Oh and my tent comes with a covered plastic sleeve on one side, but it just collects bugs and moisture... yuck. And the rain puddles just above it

I've had people come up to my booth and then look up at the canopy like they're looking for a name or some indication of what I'm selling. (I've turned away so many men who've come over thinking it was fudge or cheese...) The problem with having the banner at the back is that if there is a large crowd, or someone is specifically looking for you, you can't see it until you get there. At an arts festival last year I was specifically looking for my soapmaker friend and if she hadn't had her banner on the outside of the canopy, I would have walked right by her - there were soooo many people wandering between booths and crowded in around booths.

Good points. I knew I was weird not looking up!

Well, Darn. I was thinking of doing this for the indoor festival I just landed.
Turns out no one uses tents inside :smallshrug:

How the heck do you use 2- 6' tables in a 10x10 spot without letting customers get behind the table and not rub butts with the vendor next to you. I am assuming we are all crammed in.
I usually have my table in a L shape, along one wall and across the back. Gives me some room behind both tables and a side exit on the opposite wall.

I have a 8 ft banner that hangs high in the back of my tent. I also have a chalkboard stand my daughter put my business name in sparkly holographic vinyl and has a big bathtub that sits at the end of one of my tables. I am easily seen and it gets so many compliments too. I also have a 6 ft banner I can hang velcroed to my tent outside if needed.

This was my answer to adding signage to the front of my tent where it's highly visible (my explanation/pic is in the 4th comment):
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/need-a-banner.58796/
I'm still very happy with it and it gets lots of compliments - thanks again Navigator for the idea!!
Hope this helps!

How the heck do you use 2- 6' tables in a 10x10 spot without letting customers get behind the table and not rub butts with the vendor next to you. I am assuming we are all crammed in.
I usually have my table in a L shape, along one wall and across the back. Gives me some room behind both tables and a side exit on the opposite wall.
Maybe in a 'V" shape? If the point of the V is at the front of your area, you would have plenty of room to move about behind your display. Maybe add something in the gap at the point of the V like a standing sign or a small round table with business cards? Or if the point of the V is at the back, the gap would be hidden, but you would have less room to move around.
Just some thoughts...

Last edited by a moderator:
TY, That banner from Vista print is what I have, just wish I had made it 4' x 1'h. Mine kind of droops like that in the back too.

I will have to play with the tables outside and see how that works. I am more worried about people just walking behind the tables. But I guess that also depends on what the person next to me is doing.

Off to search pics of what others might have on here

I do a couple indoor 10x10 spaces and I still set it up in a L shape. One across the back and one on one side or I use 2 6 foot tables on either side and my 4 ft table across the back so I still have someplace for a chair or two. Kind of a U shape.

My company does a lot of trade shows, so when I started doing shows I asked my friend in the marketing department how I should setup my booth. She told me to put the longest table closest to the customer so that they see the most product at once just walking by.
upload_2018-8-23_11-26-20.png

[from my marketing friend's perspective] The problem with the L shape inwards is that customers walking from the (left in my diagram) are only seeing product on the 30" of the end of the table, customers coming from the right are only looking at the first two feet or so of that table. Most browsing customers will not look inside a booth. (My opinion: soap is often an impulse buy. Most purchases were not planned, it's easy to impulse buy because it's a few dollars.)
upload_2018-8-23_11-30-15.png

The same problem with a U shape, people only look at the table ends, but there it is complicated by the U shape, so coming from either direction people are not looking the two feet further because the table on the other side is blocking their view.
upload_2018-8-23_11-32-58.png

[Marketing friend says] If you have to setup with either inwards L or U, make sure you have your most interesting/best selling items on the end. If it's appealing, people will stop and come inwards. Typically browsing people will not come into a booth.

That said, I do a 6ft and a 4ft table with the 4ft table in front (the 6ft table is set so that it adds another 30" to the length of the 4ft table, so I have 6-1/2 ft facing my customers). I think you would be able to do that with 2 6ft tables as well. The benefit of the outwards L is that I have room inside of it and can help my customers from any spot, without having to walk around other customers. I can also better keep an eye on those rogue kids and other customers if I'm working with someone else.

ETA: Oh, I should also add for the inwards L and U setup, to turn the product on the table ends towards the customer walking by, not inwards to the customer who has come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a thought. It is true, I get people that look and smell just the end. Usually I snag them to come in... I have Cracklin Birch as the end soap ;)

Maybe I will put the 6 foot across and then 6 back (30" added to across) for reverse L. That way it puts a lot out front. Then I can keep my chair on the inside and still help all that come in.

Latest posts

Back