Adding Sugar + Shaving Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeekicker

Reaction score
Hi,

A friend and I have been experimenting with soaps for a couple of months now. However, we keep running into the problem of poor lather. We added stearic acid, which has helped quite a bit. But with our current recipes (trying to obtain a sweet moisturizing and slick soap), the lather always seems to fail.

I have read that sugar may help. Has anyone tried such approaches?

What about any other unorthodox method anyone has tried?

I appreciate anyone and everyone's thoughts.

Sugar is well used - I think at 1 tablespoon per pound of oils. It will result in more heat during the process, though, so watch out if you use sugar.

What sort of recipes are you trying? Maybe people can help trouble shoot. For example, too much SF can hinder lather. You might not be using oils that a prone to lathering.

Um, I'm confused -- What do you mean by the lather is "poor" and "failing"? Not cushiony enough? Not enough lather in total? Too frothy? Doesn't last long enough? Or ???

Adding sugar won't help with the moisturizing issue. If the recipe has inadequate lather to begin with, however you define inadequate, then adding sugar isn't going to work miracles. Sugar enhances lather to some degree, but the recipe needs to be reasonably decent to start with.

How long did you allow that soap to cure? I don't know anything about shaving soap, but in regular CP soap, the improvement in lather from week 4 to week 8 is dramatic.

Perhaps if you post your recipe we can help you trouble shoot. If you aren't using oils that help with lather you won't get lather. Thinks like Castor, Coconut, PKO or Babassu all contribute to lather. But used at too high of levels can also cause very drying bar of soap.

I take an ounce of the total water called for, and use it hot to dissolve the sugar, then toss that into the oils. It adds bubbles. It truly does make a difference.

Back