Adding powdered sugar to oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adema

Reaction score
I buy premixed lye solution so I have been adding Icing sugar and clay to my oils before adding the lye solution with good results.. I blast it with a stick blender until it is fully incorporated into my oils, I got so tired of boiling the sugar syrup and sometimes forgetting it on the stove making it very hard to clean my pots.

Has anybody else resorted to these methods due to problems in syrup making like me :wink:

Kveðja
María

I didn't think that sugar dissolves in oils? If/when I use sugar, I either dissolve it in the lye water that I will be using that day, or in just a little bit of water so it dissolves. You don't need to make a sugar syrup in order to use sugar in soap.

I'm relatively new, but I've been using honey. The sugar seems to still makes bubbles, but the added benefit is the humectrant effect of the honey...

and I get a five pound jar of it from the bulk stores in my area... (costco)

KariHomanShannon said:
I'm relatively new, but I've been using honey. The sugar seems to still makes bubbles, but the added benefit is the humectrant effect of the honey...

and I get a five pound jar of it from the bulk stores in my area... (costco)
The humectant effect will most likely get lost in the soap since it's a wash off product. It will give you more bubbles though.

The sugar dosen't desolve in the oils but it doesn't seem to matter, my soap is still the same as before, no clumps or carmelized sugar in it.. I always soap with 33% premix and I didn't want more water in my recipe.
I am also limited to soaping with a premix since I can't buy 100% lye here exept in huge amounts.

Kveðja
María

Something else I just thought of when I got back from my "the only store still open is wal mart and I DESPERATELY need more oil" dash was that my aunt always says that people LOVE her tea. She says it's the sugar she uses. She only uses imperial sugar and swears by it.

I'm not sure it would matter in soap, but I'm wondering if since it's got a reportedly different taste, if it would have maybe a different effect in soap???

I doubt it, but thought I'd mention it.

Back