Adding FO to oils before lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been adding mine before the lye too unless I'm using one that discolors badly. I then take out for the swirl first then add FO. If I love the scent and it rices no matter what, I mark the bottle and HP.

For a few months now I've been setting aside about 5% of one of my nicer oils (avocado, grapeseed, or at least castor) and I mix the FO with that... leaving it on the side until everything else is already incorporated and I start seeing signs of trace. I then add in the oil and FO blend.

When the batch is actually at a good trace I pour it into my molds. Sometimes this happens quickly with tricky FO's or sometimes it takes another couple of minutes. Either way everything else is already done and I don't have to rush.

I am going to try this out with some difficult FO's I have, normally I add FO after trace.

i tried this with finicky fo, still prob, I just add fo at thin trace.

Ollieblue said:
What about EOs?
I have always added at trace - typically in an RTCP method to avoid overheating delicate EOs.
Mind you, I do encourage gel which gets pretty hot.
Any views from you EO users?

I've been doing this with EOs too Ollieblue. If anything, the scent seems stronger but I could be imagining it . :wink:

I just tried this method today with essential oils + kaloin clay. My soap immediately came to trace I had to scoop it into the molds as a pudding. Fingers crossed 🤞 that it comes out better in the morning.

I always add FO to my oils before the lye, mostly because my favorite recipe (co, pko, palm, shea. cocoa butter, olive, rbo, castor) moves quickly anyway; and I get in a hurry to get it in the mold and forget the fragrance. o_O

Secondly, with SOME FINICKY FO'S in my experience it CAN mitigate seizing, ricing and soap on a stick as the FO is already diluted in the oils. One in particular, jasmine; will actually form a "tunnel" of solid soap followed by soap on a stick in the pot if I pour it in at emulsion. No colors or swirls for that one. :nonono: I HATE to make that soap, but I do it for a friend who loves the fragrance. With really badly behaved fragrances like the afore mentioned jasmine the mitigation of FO PITA is minimal, but its enough to at least get it in the mold.

I have noticed with some FO's that it SEEMS like the lye eats up some of the fragrance, or morphs it a bit; but those have been few and far between. Awupuhi Seaberry I'm looking at you here.

On the other hand, some FO's can make it harder to get to trace or even reverse what appears to be trace when added this way. For the record, I don't stick blend. I always seem to over stick blend so I switched to whisking by hand and get better results that way. Satsuma comes to mind as an FO that slows down or reverses trace for me; but it seems to do that regardless of when I add it.

As always ymmv.

Latest posts

Back