Adding Castor Oil at end of Hot process soap as superfat ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anything add castor oil at the end of hot process soap as superfat ? Im not sure if Im saying this right . I just made my first HP soap yesterday . I like the rugged look . But I would like a nice glide with lots of white bubbles

Last edited:
Does anything add castor oil at the end of hot process soap as superfat ? Im not sure if Im saying this right . I just made my first HP soap yesterday . I like the rugged look . But I would like a nice glide with lots of white bubbles
Maybe I can answer your question since I use the hot process to make soaps. I love castor oil and have used it extensively in my recipes, both as a superfat at the end of the cook cycle, or without the superfat and added it in the beginning. I won't ask you to put up your recipe, however, if you're using castor oil at about 10%, you're going to get some nice glide. Certainly using less than 10% is great, too, especially if you already have moisture-locking ingredients on top of that. And the glycerin content naturally made in the soap-making process should also add to the glide. Hope this helps. =)

If you want superfat in your recipe, but want that superfat content to come from the castor oil, then you can add that oil last after the cooking process. I do this with my 0% superfat recipes to control how oily they will be when they finish curing. Good luck with everything, I hope it all goes well!

[Edit: Spelling]

Last edited:
Maybe I can answer your question since I use the hot process to make soaps. I love castor oil and have used it extensively in my recipes, both as a superfat at the end of the cook cycle, or without the superfat and added it in the beginning. I won't ask you to put up your recipe, however, if you're using castor oil at about 10%, you're going to get some nice glide. Certainly using less than 10% is great, too, especially if you already have moisture-locking ingredients on top of that. And the glycerin content naturally made in the soap-making process should also add to the glide. Hope this helps. =)

If you want superfat in your recipe, but want that superfat content to come from the castor oil, then you can add that oil last after the cooking process. I do this with my 0% superfat recipes to control how oily they will be when they finish curing. Good luck with everything, I hope it all goes well!

[Edit: Spelling]
Hi there , Great reply. I do use 10% castor oil @ 3 % super fat . I was also wondering if you could give me some more info on about being oily after curing . I don’t have that problem but I feel it’s good information to have . Here’s a pictures of my soap . This is a picture of my second go at hot process. I find you can do more rustic uneven look with hot process (what I’m trying to do) and it also has a different feeling. I appreciate your time and everyone’s that’s been apart of this conversation. Thanks soap fam !

I want to do both 10 % in recipe with 3 percent out

My soaps

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2424.jpeg
    IMG_2424.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi there , Great reply. I do use 10% castor oil @ 3 % super fat . I was also wondering if you could give me some more info on about being oily after curing . I don’t have that problem but I feel it’s good information to have . Here’s a pictures of my soap . This is a picture of my second go at hot process. I find you can do more rustic uneven look with hot process (what I’m trying to do) and it also has a different feeling. I appreciate your time and everyone’s that’s been apart of this conversation. Thanks soap fam !
I appreciate it, thank you. I had a recipe that had that exact superfat and castor oil % you mentioned, and I can confirm that that soap has no problems after curing. However, I seek that oily feeling after the cure, because those oils really help keep the face moist after shaving. Since soap is naturally basic, the superfat is much appreciated to balance the drying affect some soaps have. I this helps!

Awesome Im happy I'm on track . I applicate the help . Hope to stay in touch . Kind regards !
You as well! I would also like to mention that I have tried with much higher amounts of castor oil and it doesn't behave as you'd expect it to at that concentration. Cheers!

You as well! I would also like to mention that I have tried with much higher amounts of castor oil and it doesn't behave as you'd expect it to at that concentration. Cheers!
Ahaha really know how to answer everything im thinking . 10 % is guess is a good limit ! Thanks

Ahaha really know how to answer everything im thinking . 10 % is guess is a good limit ! Thanks
Im taking it you make a lot of hot process shaving soap by your name . Im looking to start making Palm free / Vegan . Trying to figure out where to start . With Aloe Juice possible glycerin after cook . I have a few barber shops that are interested .

Im taking it you make a lot of hot process shaving soap by your name . Im looking to start making Palm free / Vegan . Trying to figure out where to start . With Aloe Juice possible glycerin after cook . I have a few barber shops that are interested .
Ok, awesome, so already you're off to a good start with the aloe juice since it's very moisturizing for the skin. If you're trying to make a good shave soap, I think you're good with this so far. I tried with the aloe juice, but idk how it works so I can't say for sure how it'll go. But Badger shave soap uses aloe vera juice in their recipe and I can confirm it has amazing glide.

Forgot to add. Also, the fact that you have shops interested is a big plus, too!

Forgot to add. Also, the fact that you have shops interested is a big plus, too!
Thank you :) . Yes . Ive been working on a cold process soap for sometime now . Soon to be selling to a few shop and online . Two shops that will be carrying ask me about shaving products . I said to them I would come up with a shave soap . So very busy atm . The soaps making and learning hasn't stopped. All day everyday soap making !

Hahaha I apologize for coming off like this, I really didn't mean to. In truth, its only because I've used it for so long. If we're talking about all the other oils, I wouldn't have the confidence to answer with the hopes of helping out. Haha Hope this clarifies.

Hahaha I apologize for coming off like this, I really didn't mean to. In truth, its only because I've used it for so long. If we're talking about all the other oils, I wouldn't have the confidence to answer with the hopes of helping out. Haha Hope this clarifies.
No its perfect honestly I didn't think anything of it . Its been a great conversation ! That what this soap forum about . Meeting like mind people soaping and figuring out the best ways possible . Everyone have different thought on what good soaps are and ways to do things. I appreciate your time !

Latest posts

Back