Acidic liquid soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittywings

Reaction score
OK, so I've had the same batch of liquid soap that I started about 2 weeks ago in a big pot on the stove since I moved it to the pot on day 2.
As I mentioned before, I used a lot of avocado oil to get rid of it, along with olive oil. I THINK I did 60% OO and 40% AO to start, but it wasn't tracing so I finally made a mini-batch of 100% coconut oil and added it and it traced right away.
I knew this would be a jacked up batch that would, most likely, be cloudy as hell. Basically, it had a fair bit of "stuff" on the top and the "middle" was a TAD cloudy, but not TOO bad. Tonight i decided that I needed to do something about it. I scooped out some of the "stuff", but a lot of it got mixed back in, so I got lazy and added a teeny bit of lye. I came back a while later and it was still a bit cloudy, so I added a tad more, came back a bit later again and it's nice and clear! Then I decided to check my ph with my soil ph meter and it registered at about 6. This would make it slightly acidic... is this even possible? My first thought is that it's probably not accurate because I used a soil testing meter, but if it is... at least it's not too alkaline, right?

What do you guys think?

I would not trust that reading. Some time ago I bought a ph meter just for my liquid soaps and a 1lb. bag of boric acid. My idea was to bring the ph down to 7.5 or so. It did not work. I had added quite a bit of the acid and I quickly decided it would only go so far. I had added enough that the soap was long ago unuseable. I just wanted to see if I could do it. It was a failed experiment.

Bruce

Totally wrong. It can be basic or very basic. Never neutral, and never ever acidic.

That's what I thought... the mere fact that it had been slightly cloudy, but still soap made it obviously somewhat basic and then the addition of more lye could only make it more basic.
Can you zap test liquid soap? ;)

Ah well let me backpedal. You've over acidified liquid soap (by adding acid, of course) then it will get cloudy as it falls apart.

Back