About to make 1st salt bars (update- new question)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kittywings said:
So... I went over to my mom's tonight to clean her house since her maid is in Europe (I asked her if she was going to cut the maid's pay since she obviously seems to be making too much ;)) and I need soap supplies. I was telling them of my salt bar adventure and they were riveted (at least in my mind). I went into their computer room and pulled up the picture of it and then left. A short bit later I went back in there and my mom was at the computer and she said "you not gonna try to sell THAT are you?!? That was one of the ugly ones, right?" :cry:
a bar is worth 10,000 pictures. she has NO idea what she's talking about.

my mom still thinks my soap is ugly. she's all about Campbell's soup, machine knit sweaters, and anything mass produced and all identical. seriously. now my soaps are pretty close to pristine (smooth edges, all the same size, etc.) because I don't want the rough, uneven look, but still she thinks it all odd. I guess it's partially a function of the time she grew up in where she would have killed for clothes from the store instead of stuff her mom made her. or maybe that's just excusing her.

what I'm saying is - ignore her.

Your salt bar looks fantastic , what a great soap saving team you and your hubby are . Put mom on ignore , it is not ugly at all.

Kitn

I think they look great!! I haven't got the nerve to do a salt bar yet but would love to!! Forgive me for being a bit....well....dumb...,but how is the salt bar on the skin? Is it drying? What are the benefits of a salt bar? And don't worry...my mom says the same things. I'm living in Australia and she's in the states with the rest of my family and she always says.."do they look professional like all the other handmade soaps I've seen or do they look messy?" Like I'm gonna trash talk my own product! :) "Yeah mom they really look like ****" lol! :lol:

Vonna said:
I think they look great!! I haven't got the nerve to do a salt bar yet but would love to!! Forgive me for being a bit....well....dumb...,but how is the salt bar on the skin? Is it drying? What are the benefits of a salt bar? And don't worry...my mom says the same things. I'm living in Australia and she's in the states with the rest of my family and she always says.."do they look professional like all the other handmade soaps I've seen or do they look messy?" Like I'm gonna trash talk my own product! :) "Yeah mom they really look like ****" lol! :lol:

ROTFL. "Come try my crap!"...lol.
I know salt bars SOUND like they'd be drying, but it's the exact opposite. Wit the high superfat you get "polished skin" for lack of a better way to explain it, and your skin feels like you just stepped out of the ocean. I love them. It turns out they're great on my face too, for breakouts. Don't be afraid to try. It's not much more complicated than regular soap. Cutting them at the right time, is probably the biggest thing. I use individual molds, so I don't even have to deal with that part. I bet you'll like them if you make some.

LJA - Did you get the molds from SGS? I haven't tried mine yet but I'm planning to tonight!

Sorry LJA but whats ROTFL? Still trying to get all these acronyms :) And from the looks of it I'm definitely going to be making a salt bar very soon!!! :)

Vonna said:
Sorry LJA but whats ROTFL? Still trying to get all these acronyms :) And from the looks of it I'm definitely going to be making a salt bar very soon!!! :)

ROTFL = rolling on the floor laughing :lol:

OK, a question... I broke down and used one of my bars last night, overall I really liked it, my only question is that I've seen them described as really smooth like a river rock, but I found mine a tad on the rough side. I used rock salt that I put in the coffee grinder so it was basically a salt powder.

Any ideas?

I think I'm gonna try the one I made the day after with kosher salt (though I don't think I ground it down) in my next shower.

As you use the bar it will smoothen out. Salt bars are quite rough to start, well mine are at least, but they do smooth and feel like a river stone.
Some like to polish them under running water with a flannel or sponge or something like that, so that they aren't rough on the skin.

So I asked my mom today if she had used her (ugly) salt bar yet, and she used it last night after swimming. She said she always exfoliates after swimming to get the chlorine off her skin, but even after that she has to slather on moisturizer because her skin is so dry. WELL.... she said that after she used the salt bar her skin didn't feel dry after toweling off, so she decided not to put on lotion and see how it went... she said she didn't need it! She hadn't even put any on by this morning. Take that MOM! ;)

BTW- I used one of the 2nd salt bars (the kosher salt ones) at the sink today and it's totally smooth now, yay! Haven't tried the other one since asking my question... I tried my goat milk soap, LOVE IT!

Yeah for mom , using your soap. I polished my salt bars under running water for a minute or two, they were super smooth after. I love salt bars.

Kitn

I did a kind of half-assed polishing at about 5 days and thought,"eh... I'll wait til I shower with it." Maybe I'll have to bust out some tights and try the real polishing.

Great save they sound really great. Yes, parents mean well..but yeah sometimes yeah... :roll: I was wondering about the salt bars also, it's peeked my interest.

Back