? about how much FO to use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori

Reaction score
How do you determine how much FO to use in your soap. I have used 1/2 oz to 1 oz in small 1lb batches and get mixed results. One batch with 1/2 oz. turned out fine but the the batch with 1 oz. there is barely and scent? And had the same amounts turn out fine other times.. How do you know when to use more or less. (also used 1 oz. in a 1lb batch and it was fine.) Just wondering. Wanting to get started on Christmas gifts and need to order some FO. Have used Brambleberry & MMS. Thanks

Oh yeah. For larger batches, say 3lb size...do you just triple the amount I suppose?

I always use 1oz per lb, unless I know its a very strong scent. what vender are you buying your fos from? stick with some of the more common ones so you know youre getting a good product. I adore peakcandle.com( bath and body section of course) and natures garden, elementsbathandbody, aroma haven.

I go by what my supplier suggests, that way I know I'm not going over the IFRA limits. Plus some fo's have different constituents in them that need to be used at less levels otherwise they can be really irritating to the skin. Like at NGC, they have some that can be used at 5% but then there are some that are at 2% or 3%. Most of your spice-type fo's are usually suggested to be used at lower levels because they a lot of times contain cinnamon, clove, allspice, etc.

If I go by the suggested amount to use for CP soap and the scent fades right away or just doesn't come through at all, then I switch fo's or suppliers for that fo.

Yes, for a 3 lb batch, you just triple the amount you'd normally use for a 1 lb batch.

I agree with the standard answer of 1 oz ppo, but obviously if the manufacturer states otherwise, go with that. I always do small 1 lb test batches when I'm trying out a new fo so I know how it will react before committing (and possibly botching!) a bigger batch. Also, you'll get an idea of if you need to raise or lower your fo amount. I too agree with going with some of the "tried and true" vendors for fo's (Nature's Garden has a nifty how it performs in soap list on their website) but you can't put too much stock in that. I have several from NG that I hate soaping with because they always give me fits! And others that seem to get fits to other soapers I happen to adore. It's just trial and error sadly. That's why I always do the test batch- if I'm going to error, I'd rather error up a 1 lb batch than a big one! ;) Good luck!

1 oz per pound unless it's an extra strength scent that never fades much and I haven't found many of those.

Maythorn said:
1 oz per pound unless it's an extra strength scent that never fades much and I haven't found many of those.

Same here. I nearly always use 1oz ppo.

I am a Brambleberry junkie and source most of what I cannot get locally from them. Always been happy with any of the EO's or FO's I have picked up from them. The have a fragrance calculator on their site which has never let me down.

This is your friend:

http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/index.php

You will need a paid email account to join (no yahoo, aol, google, etc.) So an account that your internet service provides or perhaps one from work. Real reviews by real soapers, an invaluable resource.

I'm the odd person out here - I soap at between .5-.7 oz PPO (3-4% of oil weight for those of you that use grams) for FO and most EOs. Anything stronger gives me a headache. That said, if it's not favorably reviewed on the SSRB, I don't buy it. Even then, I've gotten some faders. But if it's going to fade, IME, it will fade at .5 or 1 oz PPO.

judymoody said:
I'm the odd person out here - I soap at between .5-.7 oz PPO (3-4% of oil weight for those of you that use grams) for FO and most EOs. Anything stronger gives me a headache.

That's how much I usually use as well, because that's usually how much the suppliers I use recommend for the fo's I use.
I go a lot by what other soapers say on the scent review board as well. If a majority of the people say it fades or dissappears, I'm not going to buy it. That board has saved me lots of money :)

Back