About crock pot soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digit

Reaction score
How much "head room" is needed for the batter to rise up, but not over, when doing CPHP? Do any of you who do this, have a minimum fill recommendation, such as 1/2 of the pot volume for oils + liquids? Thanks!!

Digit

If you're vigilant, you can fill up a little more than half full.

If you're not, I wouldn't fill it much more than a third full or you risk a Vesuvius like eruption (depending on the oils). Lard makes INCREDIBLE volcanoes.....ask me how I know. :lol:

My first and only time making CPHP, I filled the CP about 1/2 full. It "grew" quite a bit, and I had to keep stirring it down so it wouldn't overflow the pot.

So, I'd say 1/2 full or less!

I use the pot in the oven 1/2 full, sometimes 2/3, my oils don't seem to "grow", the oils i use are olive, coconut, palm, soybean.

I make HP in the oven at 100C (212F) for an hour. I usually don't get a huge growth, probably only about 25% increase in volume, but I give it a stir at about 30min to redistribute the saponified and unsaponified, and that knocks out a bit of the expanding air bubbles. It's possible that maybe volcanoes happen when the soap is not hot enough to reduce the viscosity, and so the air pockets expand but can't break through the viscous soap, where hotter soap is less viscous. What temp does your crock pot cook at?

I have a 6 qt crock & a 4lb batch barely fills it half way. I haven't had a batch volcano over the top yet, knock on wood. I have a bad habit of sitting there watching the chemical reactions take place though. It's ALLLLLIIIIIIVVVVEEE! LOL :lol:
Seriously, though if I have other stuff to do, I just set the timer on the oven for 10~15 minutes & check it when the timer buzzes.

I absolutely LOVE CPHP, simply because if I am doing laundry, housework, or designing banners, signs, business cards or whatever for clients, I can still enjoy soaping. It tends to relax me now. Wasn't the case the first time I did it. I was scared (read: terrified) of the lye. I'm not terrified anymore, but after a nasty little burn on my thumb I am just judiciously precautious.

Thank you everyone!!!!! Seems as though 1/2 is the magic number. Maybe I will get to it later this afternoon.

Digit

yafa said:
I use the pot in the oven 1/2 full, sometimes 2/3, my oils don't seem to "grow", the oils i use are olive, coconut, palm, soybean.

Animal fats are much more prone to volcano than vegetable fats in my experience.

Good luck with CPHP! Let us know how it turns out! :)

digit said:
How much "head room" is needed for the batter to rise up, but not over, when doing CPHP? Do any of you who do this, have a minimum fill recommendation, such as 1/2 of the pot volume for oils + liquids? Thanks!!
it doesnt rise up much, and i dont stir it til its almost done cooking, about 45 min, you'll know when the gel ring goes to the middle, i love this method, except not being able to pour!
Digit

Crock Pot Soap Making!

I hadn't thought of using a crock pot to make soap, until I started looking into liquid soap making. With 3 young kids, a childcare and my bath and body business...I didn't have time to make CP soap the traditional way...and thus haven't in some time. :0( Thanks for posting this. I think I might just try it in the crock pot next time!

digit said:
Thank you everyone!!!!! Seems as though 1/2 is the magic number. Maybe I will get to it later this afternoon.

Digit
ive never had any volcano eruptions! I dont use lard though. I dont do any stirring, til its done, about 45 in crock, when the ring is gone.
Are you likking this method? i just started out cp, but have dont lots of hp, nice that you can use bars almost right away!

Latest posts

Back