A very mysterious and spooky thing happened to me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RioGrande

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this with you guys because it’s soap related.

So yesterday I made a new batch of soap. I had gotten some slight cracking on my previous batch. Figured either I was soaping too hot or my hard oil content was too high, so I tweaked the recipe and waited for the temperature to get to around 95 before mixing everything.

Well, so anyway, last night before going to bed I went to check on it, and to my disappointment saw a big ugly crack had already formed right down the middle of the loaf. I went to bed disgusted and confused as to what I could have possibly done wrong. It’s like, I try to fix the problem and it just comes out even worse than before. Oh well, back to the drawing board, I thought to myself....

But then, this morning I went to look before heading off to work, hoping the damage hadn’t gotten any worse overnight. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing - there was no crack at all! The surface was just as smooth as when I had first poured it.

SPOOOOKY!!!! =-0

Just wanted to share this with you guys because it’s soap related.

So yesterday I made a new batch of soap. I had gotten some slight cracking on my previous batch. Figured either I was soaping too hot or my hard oil content was too high, so I tweaked the recipe and waited for the temperature to get to around 95 before mixing everything.

Well, so anyway, last night before going to bed I went to check on it, and to my disappointment saw a big ugly crack had already formed right down the middle of the loaf. I went to bed disgusted and confused as to what I could have possibly done wrong. It’s like, I try to fix the problem and it just comes out even worse than before. Oh well, back to the drawing board, I thought to myself....

But then, this morning I went to look before heading off to work, hoping the damage hadn’t gotten any worse overnight. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing - there was no crack at all! The surface was just as smooth as when I had first poured it.

SPOOOOKY!!!! =-0
Do you have a picture? It's been a while since I've seen *DUN DUN DUN* alien brain soap (if that's what happened).

I should’ve taken a picture last night but I didn’t. Then at least I would have proof I’m not going crazy.

It sounds like the soap was over heating. It may have fully gelled and become more liquid, then cooled down to a smooth finish.
Good Post.gif

Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all and let the soap do its thing. TIP: The first rule of soaping is PATIENCE. ;)
I'm just glad it turned out okay.

happy-feet-penguin.gif
Doing the Happy Soaper's Dance for you!

Are you having trouble with doors closing by themselves, or cabinets opening with no one in the room? Sounds like you have a soap poltergeist having fun with you!
We might have one, after making two loaves of soap yesterday and retiring to the living room we kept hearing thing falling down in the kitchen. My husband and I were like, "what?!" and I'd turn and look toward our kitchen but didn't see anything.........anyone........lol. Later I saw my soap loaf had fallen off the counter. I had washed it and thought I placed it far enough onto the counter. I still do, hmmmmmm. Never did find what other things were making noises.

It sounds like the soap was over heating. It may have fully gelled and become more liquid, then cooled down to a smooth finish.

Hmm yes that’s one possibility I hadn’t considered. I assumed either it had been a trick of the light or I had just dreamed the whole thing up, or the third possibility..... GHOSTS. o_O

Are you having trouble with doors closing by themselves, or cabinets opening with no one in the room? Sounds like you have a soap poltergeist having fun with you!

Yes actually I came home from work today to find the loaf of soap floating in mid air.

Ok, not really.

Anyways... sorry don’t have a before pic but here’s the finished product:

9AFA6006-2405-4313-A324-C5D88848F43B.jpeg

No cracks to be found..... yet.

7BAE9FA9-1B2D-4424-853A-6C2C6C7E2860.jpeg

Last edited:
Back