A new recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been playing around on Soapcalc trying to come up with better theoretical values than the recipe I have been using. I had been doing 30%OO, 20% RBO, 30% CO, 5% shea, 5%castor, with 5% superfat, but wanted to up the conditioning and lower the cleansing values. I am trying my hardest to avoid palm, and I will not use animal fats in my soap. My newest formula is 33% OO, 25% RBO, 22% CO, 8% shea, 7% cocoa butter, 5% castor, and I upped the superfat to 8%. Cleansing dropped a full 5 points, and conditioning went all the way to 60, so I'm pretty happy with those changes.

I actually made up a one pound batch today, and it soaped like a dream...but I'm worried about the hardness value, and the longevity of the soap. My reformulation actually dropped two points (which probably isn't an appreciable difference). I'm wondering what kind of cure time I would be looking at for this recipe, and any guesses as to longevity (how do you even go about predicting something like that).

I will probably do a batch with sodium lactate in it tomorrow so that I can compare the two batches as well.

Additionally, is 8% superfat overkill here with the amount of unsaturated oils?

Attachments

• Shea and Cocoa Butter.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 15
Hi Megan- I make a formula very similar to yours and the resulting soaps have held up wonderfully for me for years. The highest I superfat them is 7%. They cure out quite hard for me in spite of SoapCalc's hardness numbers.

IrishLass :)

Hi Megan- I make a formula very similar to yours and the resulting soaps have held up wonderfully for me for years. The highest I superfat them is 7%. They cure out quite hard for me in spite of SoapCalc's hardness numbers.

IrishLass :)
Thank you for your reply. I've been playing around between 5 and 8%. I think I'll settle in somewhere soon hahaha!

Latest posts

Back