A Major Mess

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I made my second batch of cold process soap and managed to spill 1/3 of the contents. I was a so annoyed that I dumped the remaining batter in mold, sprayed it with alcohol and stuck it on a shelf. I totally forgot the colorant and the Fragrance oil. Now that I've finally cleaned up the mess, I thought about the soap and wondered if it will be viable. The ingredients were all mixed but instead of a full batter I only had 2/3. Will I be able to use this soap or should I discard it and try another day.

If the batter was well mixed, then it's just a smaller batch of the soap you were going to make, right? So it should be fine. It never hurts to err on the side of caution, so here are a couple of things to consider --

When you unmold, check it over carefully. If you see anything that seems odd, take a photo and share it here so we can help you interpret what you're seeing.

And just to double check, I'd let the bars cure for a few days and then zap test at that time to make sure it's okay. Just in case you (or others reading this thread) aren't sure about the best way to zap test, here's how: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=63199

But I really think it will be perfectly fine, since you said the batter was well mixed when you dumped it in the mold. ;)

Back