A Different Word for Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melonie

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have to put the ingredients of my soaps on labels, and one of the ingredients is lard. I'd rather not use the word lard and have been trying to come up with something with a nicer sound. Would you please help me with this. I'd appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

Melonie

You could use tallow instead... It's very similar and looks better on the label. Even better yet is vegetable shortening.

Hi Donniej,

Thank your for your quick response. I like the sound of the word tallow and also thought about using it. However, doesn't tallow contain beef fat and lard contain pork fat? If this is not going to confuse people, I'd definitely use it on my labels. Thank you for you input.

Melonie

donniej said:
You could use tallow instead... It's very similar and looks better on the label. Even better yet is vegetable shortening.

DonnieJ, are you really suggesting that Melonie lie about what's in her soap?

Lard is Lard, INCI - Lard.
Tallow is Tallow, INCI - Tallow.

2 completely different animals.

Vegetable shortening? You must be kidding.

The definition of tallow varies - some references site it as simply meaning "animal fat".

But it wouldn't be fair to those keeping kosher or who have other reasons for avoiding pork products to keep that hidden.

Call it lard. It's best to be open and honest.

Otherwise you are being neither.

Melonie, if you don't want lard on the label, then don't use lard in your soap.

Personally I don't use animal products, but there is NOTHING wrong with lard soap.

Use the best ingredients you can find and be proud that you've made a quality product.

Hi Deda,

I normally made my soap with all vegetable oils also. However, for my last two loaves of soap, I have incorporated lard into the ingredients after reading a posting on the SMF. I really liked the way they looked and would like to sell them. I know some people don't mind to have animal fats in their soaps, but some do. I am not about to fool anybody with the ingredients, but just don't like the sound of the word lard. It's not what what you say, but how you say it. And, there must be another word for lard that has a nice sound to it. What do you think of fatty acids?

Melonie

I think donniej was saying instead of using lard in your soaps, use tallow as it preforms similar in soap and dosen't carry the stigma that lard dose.

melonie said:
Hi Deda,

I normally made my soap with all vegetable oils also. However, for my last two loaves of soap, I have incorporated lard into the ingredients after reading a posting on the SMF. I really liked the way they looked and would like to sell them. I know some people don't mind to have animal fats in their soaps, but some do. I am not about to fool anybody with the ingredients, but just don't like the sound of the word lard. It's not what what you say, but how you say it. And, there must be another word for lard that has a nice sound to it. What do you think of fatty acids?

Melonie
i think it is deceptive and misleading. i use and love lard in my soaps. i label them as such. there is a few threads about this around here.

fatty acids is not the same as lard. How are people going to know it's lard when you put fatty acids on your label?
There are a lot of people who are happy eating mat, wearing leather shoes and using non vegan soap.

donniej said:
I was suggesting a change of ingredients, not just the label.
I should have known! You're nothing if not open and honest!

Well, if lard doesn't rock you - try "pig fat".

I'm sorry - I understand where you are coming from but I don't think there is another way to say it. Even the INCI for pig fat is lard. http://www.oshun.ca/inci.html

:(

aaahw, don't make the sad face! I'm not even allowed to sell lard/tallow soap for human use!
:p and we call lard 'reuzel' and tallow 'blanc de boeuf'.

Copying this from the other thread...
honor435 said:
I just asked 5 people if they would buy soap with lard, they all said no, hmmm.

I wonder, if shown a magnificent soap with lard on the label if they would love it, see the ingredient list, and then put it down and walk away because of the lard.

I would definitely love to use lard and lard soaps but due to personal reasons, I do not. The name of it certainly doesn't turn me off. To me tallow doesn't sound any more attractive. In fact, I think lard sounds better to me. But that's just my opinion. :) I think the best solution is to make a collection of all veggies soaps for those who wouldn't want lard.

i would be beyond mad if i bought your soap saying it contains "fatty acids", and later discover it contains lard! it may be a smaller problem for you, and a type of a problem "way it sounds", but believe me, there are some people with much stronger opinion about it. my point is - list it clear black on white or don't use it.

could you stipulate by saying "pork tallow" ? I know I've purchased tallows labeled "beef tallow, buffalo tallow, deer tallow, sheep tallow" etc. so why any different for pork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back