A couple question for Aussie soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nat, I've used the baking paper about 3 times before I have to change it. Try the Aldi one, it might be thicker.

Might be the brand - I dry it out and scrape any excess soap off, no probs.

I prefer smaller containers for the lye too but what do you do?? Its such a good price. I was thinking of transferring it to smaller containers. Unfortunately its a really staticy type too. Does that make sense? The little balls seems to spring into action as soon as something goes in there.

Baking paper. I might try the aldi one. I prefer to stick to silicone moulds mostly. Lining moulds is pretty much a pet hate.

Speaking of moulds. I've been stocking up on the target silicone ones. Picked up a few on Sunday when they were 50% off. Can't beat a 2kg slab/block mould for $10.

Hi Kaz

plastic to the soap,paper to the mould.

Ive also tried fun foam-works well but no good for divider moulds cos its 2mm thick & then the dividers wont fit. And you need to actually find the stuff :?

Dragonkaz said:
Thanks for that Lisa. What side to you face into the mould ... so it will be next to the soap?

Relle9 said:
Nat, I've used the baking paper about 3 times before I have to change it. Try the Aldi one, it might be thicker.

Might be the brand - I dry it out and scrape any excess soap off, no probs.

Yes, I have found that the Aldi one is thicker and better quality too. :wink:

When using baking paper or freezer bags ... do you spray them with a little cooking oil, or will the pull away from soap without an issues?

Lye ... checked coles today and no mechanix there either. There was another brand, but I wasn't sure about it ... so left it. Went to Bunnings after work and bought the big container of mechanix. I think it will be a little difficult to handle ... but at least I have lye ... which means I can soap over easter weekend! Five days off ... fantastic!

Dragonkaz said:
... but at least I have lye ... which means I can soap over easter weekend! Five days off ... fantastic!

Cool!! Me too.
5kgs of lye at my place. Can't wait!!

Is anyone buying olive oil from Coles or Woolies ATM. Loving their price war with Moro at $23 for 4ltrs.

I don't spray my paper Kaz.

As for the olive, I've managed to get olive pomace at the fruit shop - 4 litres for $10 and haven't noticed any difference in the soap. I started out using EVOO and got onto this. :) Saving me heaps and I think they had some for $8.99 the other day. Yeahhhh.

$10!! gosh thats cheap.
I can get pomace at the fruit and vege shop but its a bit yellow for me & always has sediment in it.
The moro is clean & very light coloured.
Maybe I'll try the pomace again. At that price I could strain it.

I used Moro and have noticed the pomace is a bit yellow but I put TD in mine so doesn't really matter. The company that has the oil I found out is 10 mins from home and she said that if I let her know 1 day in advance she would pull some from the factory floor and I can get it there. :) .Pity I didn't find this out earlier :( - suppose its all about the finding and learning process.

I buy mechanix at Woolies too at $3.99 500g but I will be looking at Bunnings on Saturday for a larger amount, what container does the Recochem caustic soda come in and what color packaging am I looking for?

I hated using freezer or baking paper and found out that polypropylene sheeting is easy and re-usable over and over again, not only that but cheap to buy ( hubby bought some home from work that has advertising on it but I used the clean white side of course). It gives the soap nice straight sides, no crinkles, no fuss and peels off easily. Just wash it with warm or cold water to use again. You can cut out one piece that will fit into the wooden mold and score it on the sides that fold and you can divide your large molds up just by sliding a end bit into it..hope this all makes sense.
I've tried to add some pics...hope they have turned out.

p1000529i.jpg

p1000528n.jpg

p1000527wb.jpg

Wow ... $10 ... that's amazing!

I'm paying $20 for 4 litres at Woolies and Coles ... and last week I bought 4 litres of Rice Bran for the same price. Wish I could do the same with castor oil.

Where do you guys buy your castor oil? Aussie soap supplies?

Nice lining, if I can make wider moulds I'll try it!

I got my last castor oil from aussie, before that it was costing me $6 from the chemist for a tiny amount.

Thank you Sandyfootfarmer :)
Yep I get my castor oil from Aussie Soap Supplies, I'm waiting to hear from a supplier in Wingfield in S.A, they sell castor oil cosmetic grade in bulk. Will post it up when I hear from them.

I'm definitely going to have to try that board to line my moulds. Either thst or the chopping mat that Elly uses. I'vegot a couple of wooden moulds there that I use.

I get my castor from escentials. Not that it helps peeps in SA. What a rip castor is in the supermarket or chemist!!

Did someone say they use Copha?? What is the ingredients in that??? Is it coconut & palm??

Copha is just coconut oil. Not cheap though :( I did try some from the Asian supplies but not sure about it and it wasn't much cheaper. I'm up in Renmark but could pick up from Wingfield when down in Adelaide so looking forward to what that supplier says :D

Copha is not pure CO it has soybean lecithin in it.

I get my castor from New Directions or Heirloom. 1 litre was $9.90, just checked on Aussie and you are paying $18 for 1 litre (way too much in my opinion).Close enough to be double the price. :shock: :shock: :shock: Escentuals is even cheaper at $8 but there's postage on top. I pick mine up.

I think the amount of soybean lecithin is small enough to be negligible for me anyway. That is a huge difference between stores for castor :shock: I've been just buying from one store to keep the postage costs low, but I think I'll have to spread my orders between a few and just order more. I'll see what coconut oil is from the other stores too, and when I can afford a big order get it from the cheapest place.

OMG! I'm horrified at the price I was paying from ASS, well my next order will be from Heirloom or Essential Oils and Soaps from now on...half the price! Thank you Relle9!

Latest posts

Back