a bit strange request

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manchy

Reaction score
(ok, i know this probably does not belong here, but i had no idea where to put it, and this part of forum has the most views, so... pls mods, if you know better place put it there, and sorry for this confusion. :oops: )

so. a hydro massage pull (tub) distributors approached me with a request for a product that would fit this description:

- a sea salt with additives (they didn't say, but i guess eo's)
- BUT, it has to be good to use in these conditions:
- water will heat up to 38°C (100°F)
- water is changed every 30 - 60 days

what could last for that long?? i have no idea! also, if you pour salt into tub it would dissolve, eo's would fade away within few hours, and if you add more bath salt your water will just get saltier every time. i don't think this could be good for a tub that will heat up so much.. and water stays in there for 30-60 days :eek:

if someone has any idea, pls share. :D also, if you ever heard of some similar product, it'll be appreciated. :)

Hi,
I don't know if this will help, or if this kind is even close to the kind you are referring to: But, my sister worked for a few years at a pool distributor who did pools and hot tubs. Many of the ones she dealt with had these dispensers for the salts, I want to say it was about a cup full it held and it gradually mixed it in. They were supposed to add scent and softener (salt) over a period of 30 days. It did depend on how much the tub was aggitating the water tho. If it were shut off at night or in use many hours a day it could alter how long it lasted. They had one in their showroom and it smelled pretty good all the time, but it wasn't on full time. I don't know how well it worked IRL, we don't have one.

Anna

ETA: Often, here anyway, they use bleach, or some something related, to make the water stay clear and clean. That might effect how what they want you to make would work.

Sorry, no idea here. But I am thinking if this tub is the type that circulates water outside of the tub into pipes and then jets it back into the tub, then putting any type of EO (some can be corrosive) and salt in could be bad for the system. There are new types of tubs that are like bubblers that just push air into the water to create the same effect but in a more sanitary way, if it's this type it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue. Though if the water is in for that long of a period it would surely be treated and filtered, removing any good stuff?? This is an odd request, break it to them gently. Maybe they could set up a diffuser or a steam unit like aestheticians use and direct it at the clients? A more cost effective, less wasteful way to enjoy the benefits of EOs.

thank you very much for your input. i'm still trying to decide what to answer to them :)

Hey Manchy,
I was in the local big box store and dragged DH down the pool isle to investigate some for you if I could. :)

This is what I found: the item they carry is to be sprinkled in at each use and it admonishes the user to swirl it around to be mixed completely, using feet to make sure it doesn't settle on the bottom.

It looked like rough crystal salt (not too big, not too small). It also had color and scent. It may have had a stabilizer in it, too. I am not sure.

The container also said it was important to make sure the ph of the tub was within range.

I think if it were me, I would suggest to them (and maybe take along a sample) that you could provide them with a product that is intended for each use. I was thinking some salts in a nice glass container with a scoop.

Don't know if it helps at all. I wish you the best of luck and success with this.

Anna

My parents had a hot tub when I was a kid and we had these little liquid scent products that you could add to them when you got it. That way it would smell like something other than huge amounts of chlorine. They were added each time you got in (if so desired). They would sometimes last for up to a few days, but not for a month. There is no scented anything out there that is going to stand up to a whole 30 days of 100F temperatures. So, perhaps they would want something where you can add a scoop each time you get in to scent it.

The OTHER thing to think about....essential oils act as solvents so they will wear away at rubber gaskets, hoses etc. (They, and FOs for that matter, will dissolve ink, glue on labels, finish on furniture, and do many other things undiluted. Diluted the same thing will happen just much more slowly)

For example, jacuzzi tubs often have a warning not to use products containing essential oils because of wear on the rubber type stuff.

SO....if you make a product for these people containing essential oils (i don't know if some fragrance oils will have the same effect or not....) and then customers start coming back with problems and leaking hoses on their very expensive hot tubs they are going to be very, very upset.

Yes, I am Debbie Doom and Gloom. Just some things you need to think about before proceeding.

so many great advices - thank you all! i mailed them with some more questions, and i'll keep you informed (just in case someone else would like to figure this out, too). :D

Back