A Bigger Batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatureandNurture

Reaction score
I've been working with 1 or 2 lbs of soap at a time. I think I'm ready to try for something larger, but I'm a little leery of it. I have a wooden mold that I'll need to line before I even try. I have a pretty good method for cutting the bars worked out, but not sure how to cut the block into individual logs. Perhaps I could cut a section of plastic cutting mat and insert that into the halfway point in the mold after pouring the soap. Would that work? Any other bits of advice? I'm a little worried about working with this much soap at one time, but I think I'm ready. I've been soaping now for awhile and I really like how some of my original bars came out.

I'm also going to try a real swirl with this one. I think the batch size was really making it difficult for me to get it to look right. :)

it might work, but you might have some warpingbowing, iykwim. i'd be more inclined to use 2 or more moulds.
i've always made 2kg/4lb batches and don't bother with dividers for that very reason.

NatureandNurture said:
I've been working with 1 or 2 lbs of soap at a time. I think I'm ready to try for something larger, but I'm a little leery of it. I have a wooden mold that I'll need to line before I even try. I have a pretty good method for cutting the bars worked out, but not sure how to cut the block into individual logs. Perhaps I could cut a section of plastic cutting mat and insert that into the halfway point in the mold after pouring the soap. Would that work? Any other bits of advice? I'm a little worried about working with this much soap at one time, but I think I'm ready. I've been soaping now for awhile and I really like how some of my original bars came out.

I'm also going to try a real swirl with this one. I think the batch size was really making it difficult for me to get it to look right. :)
Suggest you nix the divider idea if you're going to be using just plastic cutting mats, as they'll likely not be able to remain in place without warping. You could try using Lexan or some similar material for your divider. Barring that, you can always split the block into two loaves afterward, and then cut your bars from the split loaves.

Latest posts

Back