2018 Holiday Fair Chat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Thought it would be a good spot for a nice chat about what you have coming up, what you have planned or what you would like to be doing ?
For Oct:
I have a Fall Fair this Saturday. Thought it was a small, small town, thing. Turns out there are 240 Vendors :eek:
They say there are other soapers but they separate like kinds around so no one is near each other.

On the 20th-21st I have a weekend Beer Fest. SO I will be only taking 1/2 to the Fall Fair and the rest to this Fest.

Time to wrap and box up things and Get Organized !!

What have you got going on ?

We have Sunday market all this month and then two m arkets in November, on the 18th and 25th. Those are the Christmas markets.

I have a feeling this coming Sunday will be a good one; it's our Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and I've noticed that long weekends tend to bring in more people. I have soaps to wrap and label. Normally, that's not an issue; I do up my labels, print them at work and I'm done. However, I'm home sick this week and I really don't want to go in to work if I don't absolutely have to. I may just leave it until Saturday, when I can go in with no one else around.

Wanted to share one neat little thing that happened last week. Because it's autumn, I picked up 3 strands of autumn leaves garlands, entwined them and had them on my riser. The market organizer loved it but said it needed lights so she came over with a strand of tiny lights to twine through the leaves. It absolutely made the table! (She's really awesome.)

20180930_094824_HDR.jpg

I have two shows left for the year.

One on October 13th in a rinky dink little town of 120 people, but it draws from a 60 mile radius, so it ends up being my biggest show of the year. The first year I did it, I pretty much sold out - I came in with $400 worth of product (I was pretty new in the business side of it at that time so it seemed like a lot of stock to me) and went home with 9 bars of soap! Last year I went with twice as much product and came home with 20 bars. This year I have twice as much as last year, so we'll see if they buy me out or not. I've already been contacted asking if I would have this that or the other thing in stock, including one soap that I only make for that show because while I sell a bar here or there, for some reason at that show I sell all of it.

My last show is a new show to me. I was going to do a show in my home town on November 3rd, but there's like... six craft shows that weekend, and I've pretty much given up on selling at craft shows in my town. (I figured out my costs for booth fee and the actual profit margin and it's been in the negative every show I've done here.) Out of town shows do better for me, even with the cost of travel, so when a show popped up last weekend for a city 40 miles away, on a college campus, on game day, for the same price as the in town show I was thinking about doing... yep. my app and check were in the mail on Saturday. I have a few customers established in that town (enough that once a month I make a trip there for deliveries), and one of my lifelong high school friends lives there, so she is going to come help me man the booth. She is way more outgoing than myself/husband/kids are, and is willing to get paid in soap :) @dibbles was that you that had friends or relatives in Brookings?

After the Nov 3 show, if I have stock left, then it will go to the annual Artisan Holiday Market in my town. Basically, it's this lady who owns a building uptown, and she opens it from Thanksgiving to Christmas every year, and mans it every day. She charges 40% of all sales as a fee for being in the store, but she brings in a higher purchasing clientele, so last year I priced my soaps at $7/bar. With the markup to $7, I made $4.20 per bar, which was only 80 cents less than what I usually sell my soaps at, and all I had to do was bring soap and pick up leftover stock. I was happy.

I have one small show left to do near the end of October at my mom's church. I have a great customer base up there so figured what the heck. Plus I get a chance to see my parents. They are 3 hours from me north. Whatever I have left I will bring into work and have it available for my interns/residents to purchase as gifts for friends and family. They've been asking me to bring it in so I'll finally give in.

@amd Yes, that was me. She is a friend of my daughter. I'll let her know the date and location. Do you have a banner or sign for your booth so she can look for it if she goes? Just one college campus in Brookings?

I'm doing a few giveaways on social media (7 in a row this week! It's been fun so far) and switching from Etsy to Shopify. Other than that, I don't have plans yet. I still want to do shows, but the anxiety says no way. LOL

In short, I'm here to read the comments and observe this season :)

@amd Yes, that was me. She is a friend of my daughter. I'll let her know the date and location. Do you have a banner or sign for your booth so she can look for it if she goes? Just one college campus in Brookings?
I don't have a banner - yet! It's been on my to do list all summer. The show is in the ballroom off the student union. :) I wish I would have known about the show two weeks sooner - I would have gotten the HIWTK soap done. I love the fragrance, but got sidetracked with other projects. So many fragrances, so little time.

Duuuude... this is a complicated question for me to personally answer, and I'm going to answer with WAY more info than you probably wanted... I'm just not sure how to answer your question because I reference a couple different selling situations in my post that you reference, so I'm going to lay out all the ways that I sell.

My prices vary depending on where I am selling.
My Etsy store has full price + half the shipping cost of a single bar. I did this so I can offer free shipping, but discovered that on Etsy people are inclined to only buy one bar which killed my profit. For Etsy buyers who buy 4 or more bars, an automatic 25% discount kicks in which covers that increased price due to shipping and still lets me make a profit with free shipping.

My website
doesn't have the shipping cost in the price because my regulars who use the website order in larger quantities, so I set free shipping at $30.

At craft shows, I switched my pricing to $5 per bar, which for some soaps may be regular price or might be discount. I made this change for my fall shows and it worked well. I used to offer a bundle discount, but now I just explain that I have a discount built in already for buying in person. I also do this for regular customers who message me wanting a soap and have it delivered in person.

Consignment
is a different story, it depends where it's consigned and what the cost is. The artisan market mentioned in my post was the only consignment I was doing (side note: the lady who did the market in the past sold the building this year so she didn't have a market). Two weeks ago I purchased a booth at a local peddlers market, the monthly rent is the same or cheaper than most of the one day shows that I do and they don't charge commission on sales. They're open 7 days a week and always have a full parking lot. I don't have any shows planned until June, so it seems like a good investment. I marked up the regular price by 50cents, because the market charges 5% for sales using credit card, so I thought that would help cover that cost just in case. I seem to be doing well there in just the two weeks I've been stocked - the manager messaged me over the weekend asking if I had more of two soaps that had sold out! (I had stocked 8 bars of one soap, and 6 bars of another, so those two soaps alone covered the booth rent, but I haven't figured out if there's profit yet. I'll wait until the month end to see.)

So all that said... yes, my pricing varies. I know some sellers are frowning at me for doing it that way - trust me, I frown at myself quite often for doing it too! But in 2018 I did a lot of playing to figure out where I need to be priced for profitability in the different ways that I sell. As a general rule though, if a craft show costs $50 for one day or $250 for 3 days, I don't change my pricing just because the craft show costs more. Higher cost shows should have more traffic = more sales. For new shows, I always ask the organizer what the expected traffic is, I estimate 1-3% of that traffic will generate sales for me. So $100 for a show with an estimated 500 traffic, will probably only give me $200 in sales... I don't do those anymore. This is just based on my experience, of course - depending on where you live, your product line, the clientele at shows, etc. you will have different results.

Sorry for the long answer. I apparently needed to brain dump ALL the thoughts today...

Latest posts

Back