2009's First Lesson

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I learned today that whatever container you melt your Beeswax in will forever more be owned by your beeswax...... :? Good thing I plan on using beeswax in most of my soaps......

Still Learning & Smilin'

Lindy

What about if you use a pyrex glass container? May not stick/stain/ruin then???

On the plus side - you now have a single-purpose container that ain't gonna be used for nothin' else :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

BTW - My DH thinks he is getting a Magic Bullet for his birthday - little does he know I have found out I can use it for.....soaping!.....so, sshhhh - please don't tell him!

Tanya :D

it's REALLY hard to get out of anything if melted on its own. melt it mixed with other oils though and it's much easier. just use that container to melt other oils in applications where contamination with BW won't be an issue and soon you will be good to go.

Topcat - I used a Pyrex Measuring cup and melted in the microwave - man does that get hot!!!

Carebear - would I do that in the microwave and what would happen to the other oils when I get the wax hot enough to melt?

Thanks
Lindy

I do it in the microwave. And yea, you need to get the oils pretty hot but most oils can handle that temp.

Be sure to pick up the cup with a pot holder, and ALWAYS be aware that even pyrex can break...

Thanks carebear - after I tried to pick it up barehanded and said some fancy words while waving hand in the air - I grabbed a pot holder to pour.

The first time I poured it in with the oils before the lye - not so good although I did get it worked in after I put the lye mixture. Second time added to oils right after lye and it mixed much easier.

I so love learning new things..... :lol:

Cheers
Lindy

Lindy said:
........said some fancy words while waving hand in the air....
Lindy learning curve------> I am sooooo easily entertained.

Digit

Lindy, melt it in with some of your oils in the first place. Then add to other oils. You might have to heat the whole shebang a bit more to get them clear. If you don't do it this way then the BW will solidify when it hits the cooler stuff and you are going to get bits. Bits are bad. Even adding it after the lye is extremely iffy.

Digit - :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carebear - thank you!!!! :D Uhmmmm - what happens with bits????? :? And how will I recognize them? Does it help that did HP? :?: :?: :?

they might appear as white or yellowish dots. they probably won't cause problems beyond appearance since bw is not DOS prone.

or you might have none!

don't know if being HP helps. good question.

I'd like to add my 2009 lessons if I may.

1st lesson...Dont by a cheep SB...because it will die just before you can trace and have to mix like a nut... :shock:

2nd lesson...Adding lye to coffee to make a coffee soap, burnt my coffee and stunk up my entire garage...YUCK! :x

3rd lesson...Lye still in the soap does feel like a 9 volt battery on your tongue :shock:

4th lesson...Yes FO's reek havoc on plastic :(

My first 2 batches in 2009 were true learning messes

Lessons can be so quirky can't they....
loco.gif

Okay as promised here are the 2 soaps I made with Silk & Beeswax. They are also my first 2009 soaps.

This one is my Coffee Silk

CoffeeSilk01-02-09.jpg

This one is my Rosemary Mint Silk

RosemaryMintSilk01-02-09.jpg

Both of these are replacements for soaps in my regular line-up that have sold out. I want to start adding silk and beeswax to all my soaps except the Doggie Shampoos.

Also here is my last soap for 2008 - Lavender Mint Puppy Shampoo (again replacements for sold out soaps)

DoggieShampooLavenderMint01-02-09.jpg

Cheers
Lindy

Thank you! Chrissy that is really sweet! This forum is my inspiration and muse and your stuff is quite wonderful too lady!

Back