1780c - 1800c pewter mold help? Candle corrosion

Discussion in 'Candle Making Forum' started by ClovenHomeAndHearth, Feb 25, 2017.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

  1. Feb 25, 2017 #1

    ClovenHomeAndHearth

    ClovenHomeAndHearth

    ClovenHomeAndHearth

    New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello, I am using a antique 30 hole pewter and pine wood mold. I noticed that the very bottom of the tip of the mold is starting to corrode inside and making the tip of my candles not so pretty. I am using hot soap and water to clean it and a silicone mold releasing spray.. is the spary braking down my mold? Also dose anyone know how to clean out the corrosion?.. or did I ruin it? ;(

    IMG_1995.jpg

    IMG_1996.jpg
     
  2. Feb 25, 2017 #2

    lionprincess00

    lionprincess00

    lionprincess00

    Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2014
    Messages:
    1,672
    Likes Received:
    1,119
    Not sure, but wasn't pewter manufactured before the early 1900s made with lead? Wouldn't that be a poor choice for potential lead poisoning? Not sure how much would leak into the wax and transfer to hands while handling, but I wanted to ask because it seems potentially dangerous.
     

Share This Page