100% Lard Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerianne

Reaction score
I'd like to try a goat's milk soap for my face with only using lard, and maybe tea tree oil. I'm wondering if it will come out too soft, should I maybe add salt to harden it up a bit?

I have seen some on the counter at one of the feed stores here. The ingredients list Lard as the only oil. And those bars are hard as can be.

Lard makes a beautiful creamy white hard bar. It shouldn't be soft at all goats milk will be a great additive

My 100% lard w/0% SF started out white but after a few months is now a yellow color. I made it for laundry so I don't care. It is super hard. Grating it is very difficult because it is so hard.

I would leave my superfat at 5% your bubbles are going to be low enough without adding extra free oil. I love my lard and goat milk soap but I think next time I might add a little castor to help with the bubbles. People in my house seem to think you need lots of bubbles to get clean and they don't seem to get the fact that when using lard soaps you need to use hotter water.

...Grating it is very difficult because it is so hard.

Grate it a day or three after unmolding it, if you aren't doing that already. You'll have a much easier time of it. A food processor with a grating attachment is also very helpful. :-D

Thanks! Do anybody know any other oils that would be good for a gentle face bar? I'm toying between leaving it 100% lard, or adding some castor, avocado and cocoa butter to it..

I can't see myself having the patience to wait 6 months to use a castille bar :)

I've made two batches of castile in the last 3 months. I can't wait to try them but I have a rediculous amount of soaps that are ready to try that I can't keep up with them all so maybe that's the trick to waiting

I can't see myself having the patience to wait 6 months to use a castille bar :)

Yeah, I couldn't wait that long either. My patience only lasted about
a month before I snagged a bar and started using it the first time
I made it. Liked it so much I made more right away so I don't have
to worry about running out. :mrgreen:

I just made a 100% lard bar for laundry detergent and it is extremely hard.

So far, I have to say, lard is one of my favorite oils to soap with.

I just made a 100% lard bar for laundry detergent and it is extremely hard.

So far, I have to say, lard is one of my favorite oils to soap with.

Do you only use it for laundry? Is it your favourite because of how it feels on your skin, or just on ur clothes lol?

Do you only use it for laundry? Is it your favourite because of how it feels on your skin, or just on ur clothes lol?

Well, my 100% lard soap is going toward laundry detergent that I haven't started yet - giving the bars another few days to cure some more.

But my lard/mix bars feel amazing on the skin. They are about 30% lard - one even as much as 40% that I love.

I'm with Malia on this one. I love lard in my soap. It feels good on the skin, hardens nicely and it is relatively inexpensive.

My lard soap has lasted the longest, also. I'm definitely a huge fan!

Latest posts

Back