0.1 digital scale recommendations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emi

Reaction score
I looked up digital scale recommendations on this forum and the main one that shows up is the KD8000 which only weighs to the gram. I'd love to get a scale that measures to the centigram (0.01g) but it really isn't necessary no matter what I'm measuring, but I think decigram (0.1g) accuracy is reasonable. This wouldn't be for measuring the main oils or lye but for other additives like EDTA, post cook added SF for an HP soap, or amount of poly 80 you'd need to emulsify the post cook added SF in LS, fragrances, ingredients for small batches of anything like soap, lip balm, etc. I've looked all over including jewelery, lab, food scales as well as Amazon and the prices are all over the place! The cheapest decigram lab scale I found was $150 and mostly anywhere between $200-$3000. The centigram ones were all in the thousands. And then Amazon has centigram scales for $12. C'mon really? I find Amazon reviews a bit unreliable because I'm not sure what they're basing their good reviews on. I was hoping for recommendations based on actual tests rather than it just seeming to work. I don't own callibration weights so I use coins (newest I can find). A penny weighs 1.555g, so 1.6g for a decigram scale, or a dime weighs 2.268g rounded to 2.3g. I got my eyes on Ohaus CL-201 which is $52. Any advise?

I don't have advise for a scale, but I use 4 quarters (1 ounce) to check my scale is measuring correctly.

Before I got an elderly but still useful laboratory scale, I used a My Weigh iBalance 300. It costs $30-$35 US, has 0.1 g resolution, and is sturdy and compact. edit: This scale weighs up to 300 grams.

The problem I see with many of the cheap jewelry scales is the platform is often tiny, making it hard to weigh anything larger than a necklace or ring. And I really wonder about the long-term sturdiness.

I'm not too worried about weighing anything for soap making with 1 gram accuracy unless a person is making extra-small batches (recipes under 500 g / 16 oz fats), in which case, 0.1 g accuracy is a good thing. I used the iBalance 300 mainly for lotion making, lip balms, EO scent blends, weighing fiber for my wet felting, etc.

Last edited:
I have an inexpensive Smart Weigh scale that weighs to the 0.01g, and also purchased a calibration weight for it just to be able to keep it in check (I, too, am a bit suspect of such an inexpensive scale but I've had it 2 years now and it's still going strong).

One thing I DON'T like about it is that it only weighs up to 100g. When buying it I wasn't thinking about the fact the weighing vessel would add weight, and there have been many times I've had to weigh an ingredient into a small plastic cup or small glass beaker and then pour that into the recipe. It's a pain, not very accurate due to loss of ingredient to the sides of the weighing vessel, and I'm not quite sure why I don't purchase another scale other than the fact I'm frugal and this one still works.

So regardless of which brand you purchase, I'd suggest getting one that weighs minimum of 200g, but ideally more.

I just got my new scale in the other day...here's the specs on it from Amazon $56.55 & Precision Weight 5g 10g 20g 50g 100g Grams Steel Chrome 200g Calibration Scale Weight Kit Set $7.99 ...I didn't think that was to expensive...

• Percentage weighing function; great for baking and soap making
  • Large, 8000 gram capacity plus 4 additional weighing modes. lbs, lbs/oz, oz & kg

I use the KD8000 as my main scale. I picked up a precision scale from a kitchen type shop that weighs to .01 g and has at least a 300 g max for sure. I make small batches of things and it is helpful weighing EDTA and ROE and other small things. I had looked for a larger scale that weighed to .01 g but ended up going with what I have now. It works well for me.

I use 2 scales. The KD7000 for the oils, lye, soap batter, etc. The smaller inexpensive scale for the EDTA, ROE, FO's etc. (from Amazon). I have had 2 of the smaller scales, but had to replace the first one after spilling EO all over it and it ate away at the plastic, got inside and messed up the battery compartment. I also have a set of calibrating weights, so am happy with my scales. The small one I have is: American Weigh Scales ACP-200.

Back