Can recommend a electronic digital scale?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

math ace

Reaction score
I need to replace my current scale. I would like an electronic (not battery ran) digital scale that is able to measure in the small units needed to make 1 to 2 lb batches of CP soap. So it needs to be able to measure in tenth of ounce increments.

Can you recommend a scale for me (in the USA)?

This says it measures in 1 gram increments. Does anyone go lower than that? Or should I look for some that go to a tenth of a gram?

The MyWeigh KD 8000 is good. I have the KD7000, and it's good, too (I bought it before the KD8000 was available. I bought the optional AC plug to go with it. For the smaller increments needed for FO's, micas, and tiny amounts, I also bought a small jeweler's scale that measures in the tenth of a gram. A large scale that measures to the tenth of a gram AND will handle enough total weight for soaping oils, tends to be rather expensive.

But you said you wanted it to be accurate to 1/10th of an ounce and it is accurate to 0.05 of an ounce, so I believe it meets your requirements. That is, if you plan to use ounces rather than grams. Many soapers use grams, but I believe there are still many who still to ounces, as well.

I've been using this one for over 4 yrs now:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Glass-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/49883592

At the store it cost me just under $18 and it weighs out up to 11lbs, in .05 gram and oz increments.
It has 4 unit measures (lbs, ozs, kg, and grams, so it doesn't matter what measures you use, it'll work.
It's only with batteries though, but I soap about once a month and I've yet to have to replace the original batteries.
I'll add that I bought in San Antonio, TX and it traveled in checked baggage to El Salvador with me. How's THAT for durable?!
Online it costs about US$2 extra and it's only available at Wal-Mart.

I'm looking for a set of new scales too, I really want ones that measure down to 1/10th of a gram too. I looked on the website of the company that make those KD8000 scales but it made my brain hurt with how many choices there were!!! :confused: I've been looking at the iBalance ones https://myweigh.com/product/ibalance-5500/ says it measures to 0.1g.

I use the KD8000 with the power adapter, and I love it. Works great for everything I need. If you are making 1-2 lb batches it's a great scale for that. For soaping I use oz, however for my b&b I use grams and it's still good enough for my applications.

Back