« Light » olive oil???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josianeg

Reaction score
Hi! I’m reading “Pure soapmaking” by Anne-Marie Faiola. I wondering what she means by “light” olive oil in the following sentence?

Caution: the exception is “light” [italic in original text] olive oil, which often doesn’t work in soap at all.

On her Soap Queen website, she wrote an article called “All olive oils are not created equal” in which she posted a picture of soaps made using store bought olive oils. *** LINK ***

The « light » (?) olive oil soap overheated and cracked. She also says that all except one had developed DOS after just one month! Scary

She owns Brambleberry, so it’s likely she’s biased when it comes to buying soap ingredients from local stores... yet I’m worried.

I have used *** THIS ** olive oil without issues for my first batches of soap. The bottle says “extra light taste”.

I’d like to hear your thoughts on this. Have you encountered any issues with “store bought” olive oils?

As long as its 100% Olive oil it shouldn't make a difference. Olive Pomace can make your batch speed up a bit faster others. I use the regular olive oil from Costco. Not EVOO etc. Though some do use EVOO.

Thank you, I was aware for the pomace and she mentions the OO from Costco works fine. Have you taken a look at the link I sent?

Do yourself a favor and don't follow advice from brambleberry. She is a business women before a soaper.

Just because one batch of light oo made a weird soap, doesn't mean it always will.
I've had regular and evoo get dos before.

Using fresh oil, regardless of variety will help prevent some dos. That said, I do prefer kirland oo, never had issues with it.
Had less issues once I switched to safflower instead of oo.

Oh... 😕 Thank you for letting me know. After reading a few pages on her website I felt she seemed to know what she was talking about. Darn, I regret buying the book then. Is it any good?

I use light olive oil all the time - the lighter the better. I prefer the lighter colour and nor do I wish to pay for EVOO if it's just going into soap. It's usually just a mix of, say, 5% EVOO and then refined OO that they call 'light'. It's the cheapest one in the supermarket too: Buy countdown olive oil mellow 1l online at countdown.co.nz

I use not only Bertolli but also Ottavio brand "light tasting" olive oil without issues. They're cheaper and from a well-known Texas market that has a high turnover in their inventory so I know that their products are rarely if ever stale.
I too have watched Brambleberry's videos and don't really follow them because they seem more like ads for their products, than actual tutorials. Soaping101.com's YouTube channel is my go-to place and where I began my soaping journey, and some of the better regarded vloggers don't even have a huge online market. Like Soapy Oaks Farms-Patrick. He doesn't do tutorials but has really good ideas about what to use in your soap recipes.

Latest posts

Back