What Happened Here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading about dual lye soaps, I've been experimenting a little. One batch is looking really good and, after 48 hours, is ready to cut. Yesterday, I made a batch of Lavender & Goat Milk soap, a soap I've made before. This time, I decided to try it with dual lye. Everything went well. The soap gelled, it smells amazing. But...when I unmolded it this morning, it looked like this. I've never had this happen before.

What would have caused this? The recipe is below.

Whathappened.jpg

DL LavGoat.jpg

That looks like a really, really severe goat milk burn--as in, it overheated severely. I've occasionally had that happen when using lots of oatmeal and honey in a recipe, too.

Most will recommend that milk soaps go into the fridge or freezer for 24 hours to saponify slowly and at low temperature. Then keep an eye on it as it may still heat up a good bit...

Depends. The end bars might be OK, but...they also might smell really, really bad.

Hold off, cut what you can, and analyze the end bars. You might be able to rescue them.

The rest of it? Pitch.

The smell may be temporary, but the ugly is forever. :)

However, that's no bar (ha!) to using it at home.

If it heated up to the point of separation, I would rebatch or pitch, if not, if that's only pooled oils, and they eventually absorbed back in, I'm with IrishLass and others, let it cure and then make your final decision. Some of my ugliest bars have been ones that weird stuff happened too, but in the end and after a long cure, ended up being my favorite bars to use.

Latest posts

Back