First try at confetti

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
I made two batches of this recipe. Mixed different colors of shavings into each, and colored one of them with pink ultramarine.

The white was scented with cedarwood, frankincense and balsam of peru EOs. The pink got orange, ylang ylang, amyris and balsam of peru. The two combinations play nicely together in the layered loaf.

The pink pinked back up better than I'd hoped. Maybe a little too well. I think I have inadvertently made a fun Halloween soap. SO's comment when I showed him was "maggot riddled flesh" (comment in white text 'cause it's kinda gross. Highlight to see it.)

The white has this thick powdery layer on top, can see pretty clear in the pics. It brushes off really easily, and is not at all zappy. I can't find any zappy spots anywhere on the bars, in fact. If it's ash, it's the thickest layer I think I've ever seen. I think it also has a partial gel thing going on, that looks to have started from the bottom and not made it all the way to the top. The pink, by contrast, has only a light dusting of ash on the top, and if it gelled it did so fully. I mixed the white one at about 120*F, and the pink one slightly cooler, at 110. For both batches, I melted the PKO separately and mixed it in at thin trace. Mixed both to nearly med trace before mixing in soap shavings and pouring into molds. No insulation on any of the molds.

I wound up having to take the mold partway apart to get the layered tall loaf out. The messiness all down the side is a result of my attempts to remove it before I took the mold apart. The white had the same thick layer of powdery stuff that the smaller loaf did, in the pic I've removed most of it. Brushed it off with a dry toothbrush.

confetti1-1657.jpg

confetti2-1658.jpg

confetti3-1659.jpg

Funny thing is, the batches were made side by side. Identical base recipe, same volume (though different blends) of essential oil for fragrance, identical molds, and sitting within a few inches of each other on the counter while they set up. Kind of illustrates the variability inherent in making soap.

same volume (though different blends) of essential oil for fragrance,

Even with EO you should always use measurements in weight and not volume. Every EO (especially EO) have their own IFRA usage rate, it's not a 1-size fits all.

That being said, I LOVE confetti soaps, and yours look good. Just rinse off the ash - of keep it - it gives a unique aesthetic.

Latest posts

Back