When to add EOs and/or SF to LS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neeners

Reaction score
I'm planning on trying LS (finally have all the ingredients), and going to try the CP method a la Grayce in this post http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=427145&postcount=18

Now, I've looked all over and can't seem to find an answer to the question of when do I add EOs to my LS? After gel and while the paste is still hot, or during dilution? oh, and what rate of EO to put in? is it 3% of the paste, or 3% of the total LS (paste plus water)?

And I purchased some red castor oil. When would I want to add that if I wanted to SF?

btw - this first batch will be for dishes, but I would like to scent it with some citrus.

tia!

Last edited:
I use a different method than Grayce, but for what it's worth, I add my FO to my finished liquid soap after it's all been diluted and cooled off. Depending on the FO, I usually add anywhere from .3% to 1% as per the total weight of the amount of finished soap I'll be scenting.

In regards to the superfat- again, I don't use the same method as Grayce- but for what it's worth, I add mine after dilution as per the weight of my finished/diluted soap.

IrishLass :)

And I purchased some red castor oil. When would I want to add that if I wanted to SF?

I have not tried it for myself yet (but will soon!) but I read from Amanda Gail's blog that red turkey castor can add it 1% of diluted soap.

My problem is I bought a gallon of red turkey castor oil from Soaper's Choice - crazy of me! I am not sure what else I can use in bath and body products beside in LS. If not, I just have to make tons & tons of LS!! LOL

My problem is I bought a gallon of red turkey castor oil from Soaper's Choice - crazy of me! I am not sure what else I can use in bath and body products beside in LS. If not, I just have to make tons & tons of LS!! LOL

ONE GALLON?!?!?!?! LOL. sorry I'm laughing, but it's kind of funny....b/c that's a LOT of that oil! well....maybe in a lotion or something? or just start mass producing LS!

I figure my SF into the calculator(under 3% always). I add my EO to my diluted, but still slightly warm to the touch, soap.

I have not tried turkey red castor oil.

If you are making dish or laundry soap, you don't want any SF.

I don't super fat my liquid soap. I add essential oils when the temperature of the diluted LS is just below the flashpoint of each EO. Sometimes I get less picky and add them together, below the lowest flashpoint temperature.

one more question - is EO rates as a percentage of paste or total weight of LS (paste plus water)?

Neeners -- It depends on the person -- I've seen it both ways. I think Susie doses on paste weight. I dose based on total diluted weight. My rule of thumb is 1% for normal fragrances and 0.5% for strong fragrances. I'd use the same dosing %'s for EOs and FOs, although I so far have always used EOs in my liquid soap.

Nope, I add based on weight of oils in the recipe. I don't like really strong smells that linger too long from soap, so the only adjustment I make is that I use less of the potentially irritating EOs than the ones I know are totally safe.

My rule of thumb is 0.5 oz PPO of safe EOs, 0.3 oz or less PPO of problematic ones like cinnamon, clove, citrus, peppermint, etc. If I blend the "safer" EOs with the irritating ones, I go to a total of no more than 0.5 oz PPO.

I really love citrus EOs, and wish they stuck better in CP bar soaps, but they work wonderfully in liquid soaps as they tend not to fade as badly.

Wups! My bad, Susie. Thank you for setting me straight!

..... and I am the opposite, I compute all FO and EO rates based on a % of the weight of the final diluted soap since each formula will have a different dilution amount.

I am planning on diluting the soap down to use in a foamer. Do I need to use something like PS80 to ensure that EO's don't separate out?

I'm in the habit of using PS80 with all my scents when adding to LS (thanks to IrishLass!). I blend equal amounts PS80 with the EO/FO and stir well, then add that to my LS. Works a charm! Also, I add the scent when ever I'm ready to. I made a gallon of LS last week then put it into an empty distilled water jug. It's sitting on my counter until I have time to add scent, bottle and label.

I have so many questions...

Do you use it in a pump or foamer bottle?

If I am diluting to use in a foamer, what is my EO usage rate? I've seen .5-1% of diluted soap, but assumed that is before diluting for the foamer.

i didn't use PS80 (not even sure what it is) in my liquid soap when i first made it like 2 months ago, and i've seen no separation of scent. but i did regular dilution for dish soap use, and not for foamer

Latest posts

Back