Beeswax – best way to counteract the lack of lather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
I have only used beeswax twice in soap, at a rate of 1%. These are the only two batches that do not lather well and yet I had used sugar in both batches. I reckon it must be the beeswax that is causing the problem. I was wondering what is the best way to counteract that: apart from adding sugar, should I increase the percentage of coconut oil (in one batch I had 15% and in the other 25%) and increase the % of SF to compensate (I had used 7% and 5% respectively)? What do the experts think?

You could try adding castor and upping your coconut as well as your superfat. I've heard that beeswax can inhibit lather. I've not used it so can't speak first hand on it.

I think so too, as i found both of my facial soaps with 5% bw in it did not lather very well.

I am with shunt in this. Those 2 oils are what i know to help boost in the lather/bubble area.

I had forgotten to mention that I also had used castor oil in each of those batches (5% in one and 9% in the other). I think I will give up on beeswax and continue with sodium lactate.

I use beeswax in some of my batches, and haven't noticed decreased lather compared to soap using the same recipe without beeswax (I leave it out if I need more time to do swirls or other techniques where I don't want the soap to trace quickly). I limit the amount of beeswax I add to 1%, and usually also add 1 tsp. of honey ppo which boosts lather. I also use 7% castor oil and between 20-25% coconut oil in most of my soap unless it's a specialty bar. I've also found that the lather of my soap improves with age, since the balance of my recipes consist of olive oil, liquid oils, and butters that benefit from a good long cure.

I'd omit the beeswax - problem solved. I find it a pain to use and it makes me soap hotter than I'd like. If you want a harder bar, you could try using sodium lactate at 1% instead.

I have only used beeswax twice in soap, at a rate of 1%. These are the only two batches that do not lather well and yet I had used sugar in both batches. I reckon it must be the beeswax that is causing the problem. I was wondering what is the best way to counteract that: apart from adding sugar, should I increase the percentage of coconut oil (in one batch I had 15% and in the other 25%) and increase the % of SF to compensate (I had used 7% and 5% respectively)? What do the experts think?

Just curious at 1% what your looking for using it to begin with?

Just curious at 1% what your looking for using it to begin with?
I thought I could use it instead of sodium lactate. I was given a lot of beeswax by a local beekeeper and it was a way of using it. I think I will stick to sodium lactate in soaps and use the beeswax in body products (lip salve, etc.).

You could always make candles with the extra beeswax.

That's true, but it is a hobby that I have not yet tackled. God knows how much I will spend if I start! I made a quick calculation of how much I have spent so far on soap-making equipment and the figure is frightening!!!!

Yes I know I just started out and I'm somewhere around the 2k mark. And I haven't dabbled into candles either

That's true, but it is a hobby that I have not yet tackled. God knows how much I will spend if I start! I made a quick calculation of how much I have spent so far on soap-making equipment and the figure is frightening!!!!

NEVER do that math. It never ends well. :shifty:

I use beeswax in my soaps at 5% and I've haven't noticed a dragging feeling, or less lather. I only use it in honey soaps, so maybe the sugar from the honey is boosting the lather and it all balances out?

One of my current fav bars is has honey, beeswax and Honey Beeswax FO from BB. It is hard, bubbly and smells divine.

Back