Visiting Essential Depot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm leaving soon for a much needed dose of sunshine, and will find myself awfully close to Essential Depot in Sebring, Florida. They have limited hours and days that they are open to the public, but the stars have somehow aligned and their timeframes will work great for me. On top of that, they say they'll share wine with their guests/customers. My kind of place! So I will try very hard to make this work.

The real plus here for me is that they only ship a few items to Alaska, so most of their inventory has been off-limits to me. Like the great (and cheap) red silicone mold that everyone raves about! They will ship lye up here but not a mold -- go figure! So anyway, this is on my hot list and it will make the trip worth it if I leave with nothing else (but a tan of course).

It appears from the FAA website that I can check in my baggage up to 68 fluid ounces of "hazardous material" EOs/FOs (perfumes/toiletries/medicinal items), as long as the individual bottles don't exceed 18 oz. I was shocked (and thrilled!) by this -- am I not reading something right?
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...media/materialscarriedbypassengersandcrew.pdf

I am really hoping I like their lavender (no more of that camphor crap please!), but I'll have room for more as long as I don't pack too much other stuff (what more do I need than shorts, snorkel, and swimsuit anyway). I am so excited as shipping is such an issue to Alaska!

Has anyone ever been to the Essential Depot store, or have any favorite CP scents you order from them? Give me your recommendations for scents to sniff and other items to oogle over! Unfortunately they are going to limit me to just 3 hours in the store -- I guess they know how we soapers are -- so I better go prepared with a list!

Oh how exciting!!!! Hope you have a wonderful time in FL, be sure to overload on that much needed vitamin D. And while you're at Essentil Depot feel free to shop for me too

I am so excited for you! I have to say that it is their lavender that I dislike. Sorry!

But, I am hopping to make it down there myself in the next year. I want the opportunity to smell all the scents I have been too cheap to try.

That would be too fun. But i do have to say that i have purchased many essential oils from them, and i wont do it again. When compared to other companies essential oils, they just dont compare. Their scent does stay in the soap, but the quality just isnt the same. But i do buy their lye regularly! Sorry to spoil your trip, i hope i havent. Have a great time, and enjoy that sun! I hope you arent getting hit by the current storm, for the next few days we will range from -11 to +15 here in colorado. Have a great trip!

Sounds unanimous that they aren't the EO-go-to guys. Too bad, but it is what it is. I'll still be glad to bring back silicone (and drink the wine). Anyone have any advice against that?

houseofwool, in your reply to my Camphor Camo post, you implied you found a better lavender. Who was that from, and is it good enough to recommend? I did like the Glory Bee L. angustifolia but they don't ship to AK and I can only buy in small quantities unless I take a second mortgage on my house. I really want a good lavender and don't want to waste more money trying to find it. Thanks in advance!

I would still be excited about visiting there, even with the many poor reviews. It's still a warehouse full of EOs, and you do get to sniff before you buy! (maybe?). Considering the difficulty and expense of getting stuff to Alaska, I would go ahead and buy stuff. If the lavender is camphoraceous, try to sweeten it up with something else--litsea cubeba? Or, use that lavender if you're blending with stinkers, like tea tree.

Liberty Naturals is in Oregon, maybe check out their lavender. I've bought from them before but not lavender.

I tried New Direction Aromatics. I've been sticking with their 40/42 blend. They are located in Western Canada so shipping to the Midwest is a little bit slow.

My sister found a 30/32 blend that she likes, but it is more expensive.

I would do the same CaraBou- sniff away! and being in your shoes with things that are hard to obtain, i would buy some too. enjoy your trip!

i was there this summer its a lovely little shop! it is tucked into the back of a cluster of buildings. the puppy there is a sweet heart and everyone (only one lady at the time) loved her and got a bunch of stuff

Sweetlily321, how cool you were there! Any recommendations to check out? Good to know the pearl is encompassed by clam; I'd hate to miss it just because it is tucked away from view.

I'm so glad you mentioned the puppy -- I will bring a biscuit! I'll be ready for a little puppy love by then, after a week of alligators!

i don't know much of the town and what is in it besides ED, because i was down from CT to see family in the citrus county so it was a good long drive. was nice to smell everything before i got it. bring cash with you in smaller bills its easer for them. i have to say get there pineapple FO it soaps lovely and makes nice bath bombs you'll have to smell it to know what I'm talking about i wanted to eat it.

how exciting! happy tanning!!!

I'm not sure if they have, but bring some coffee beans in a small container. sniff that in between sniffing the other stuff. it's to clear your nose pallet. if you don't, scents start blending in with one another.....

safe travels, and happy shopping!

I bought their Lemon Blossom FO. It's not a true 'citrus' smell. More of a 'blossom' scent (if that makes sense LOL) but still nice. I've only made a sample cp bar of it to test it out, no issues soaping with it, and so far it is lasting nicely (made 10/12/13). Have fun on your vaca! Enjoy!

I bought their Lemon Blossom FO. It's not a true 'citrus' smell. More of a 'blossom' scent (if that makes sense LOL) but still nice. I've only made a sample cp bar of it to test it out, no issues soaping with it, and so far it is lasting nicely (made 10/12/13). Have fun on your vaca! Enjoy!

lol, so it smells like the flowers on a lemon tree, right? :) I love orange blossom btw!

I am going to ED tomorrow! So excited. It is my last day in Florida before I go home (to my beer soap swap package - yay!). But it turns out my FL friends that I'm visiting are going with me to Sebring, which worries me a little. Guess I can't really spend 2 or 3 hours smelling scents and drinking wine! And through all of that, I hope I don't forget to buy the silicon molds that I originally wanted to buy lol

Latest posts

Back