beeswax in soap ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhi

Reaction score
For those of you that do, why do you put bees wax in your soap? Of course I could be wrong, but it seems to me like its a waste of some good wax.

Ash reduction and bar hardness can be archived with procedures and proper formulation. For me when I'm washing to get clean and remove the residue of lotion and lotion bars I don't want to be adding more wax. There is also the issue of wax on the tub, in the drains ect. But that's just my experience.

I just tried a bar piece I bought and it had wax in it. Found it even stickier than mine that I already think are a bit tacky. Not sure if the wax is the reason or not.

Thanks for the reply CaraCara. I agree about the formulations and procedures. Ive only had ash on one batch of soap, that was my first gm that went immediately and uncovered into the fridge, and hardness can definitely be adjusted through formulations. Never thought about wax in the tub and drains. good point. And possibly tacky too? Hmmm...

I made one batch with beeswax, went and used it just now so I could see how its coming along. The bar definitely has a different feel and the lather is thick instead of bubbly. It feels nice though and it didn't leave a tacky or sticky feeling on my hands. I didn't use much wax though and I really don't see any benefits so I'll not use it again.

When you saponify beeswax, you get soaps (pretty much ordinary ones) and long chain fatty alcohols. Those long chain alcohols may improve (depending on your taste) the texture of the bar of soap, and they may improve skin conditioning to the extent they stick. It can reduce lather, but the bubble-popping effect will be seen primarily at high dilution, which means that it may help the lather rinse off a little easier.

Robert, how much bees wax did you put in your soap when you tested? Maybe I added to much?

Robert, how much bees wax did you put in your soap when you tested? Maybe I added to much?
I've never used it, I'm just saying long chain fatty alcohols (which I have other experience with) would have those properties.

I make a honey soap. The honey makes it a bit soft, so I increase the hardness by adding beesewax. It is one of my most popular soaps. Lathers great, rinses clean, makes the skin feel great. i use raw beesewax, not the processed stuff from the stores. Find a beekeeper and make a trade - honey and wax for soap.

goats milk 12 oz
lye 3 oz
olive oil 4.25 oz
coconut oil 5 oz
veggie shortning 12 oz
honey 3 tsp
beesewax .75 oz

add 1/8 cup finely ground oatmeal for variety and a little extra niceness.

Ok, i might have to try a little wax and see for myself. I have a relative that is a beekeeper and we do trade wax and honey for soaps, lotions, etc. I dont like to waste it but in they way you are using it Tony, it makes sense. Maybe because you are using it to offset and add to the effects of another bee product. Have you made the same batch without the wax? How does it compare?

You find the plain honey sticky? Interesting, another poster found the wax sticky. My honey bars are sticky until used once but the washing bit isnt. Ill try this with and without when i make another little batch and post-if i remember(reminders welcome).

Latest posts

Back