Silicone molds and soap stamps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvercb67

Reaction score
O.k. So I'm making up some goats milk soap today and going to use a silicone mold for the first time ( for soap anyway) is there anything I need to know as far as unmolding. I'm also going to try out a soap stamp for the first time. Any pointers?

Most standard loaf or slab silicone molds give an easy release. If you have problems getting the soap out of the mold, you might put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. I think the best time to stamp soap is right after it is taken out of the mold and cut into bars. I know the longer I wait, the harder the bars of soap get. Here is a link with some tips on stamping:

http://milkywaymolds.com/stamping-your-soap/

depending on the type of stamp, some I can use right away, others I have to wait 10 days or longer to use ( more intricate detailed stamp)

I gel my soap and with the detailed stamps if I do not wait, I just get mushed soap in the details of the stamp. If the soap gets really hard a mallet works well.. :) It does take practice for sure..

Lately I could not get my soap stamped well, but a week ago I read about using cling film (atleast that's what I think it's called in english. Plastic wrap?). Tried it today and it works great! I like those stamps with fine lines but I always pulled soap out with it (my soap is rather soft). Now I just cut my soap, wait till the soap feels dry. Then I put the cling film over the surface, make sure there are not to many wrinkles and stamp it. No more pulled out soap and messed up design.
It's just a tip but I'm so glad I found it! To bad it doesn't work if you want to stamp with mica...

Not sure if everyone experiences the same thing that I do with silicone but I find I usually have to leave my soap in a silicone mold a little longer than if I used a wooden mold. Maybe it's the lack of air circulation or just my recipe but if I try to unmold too soon I have to spend more time trimming, etc when the soap has cured. I love silicone because you don't need to line the mold but when I'm dying to see how my soap came out it is sooooo hard to keep myself from unmolding too soon :)

I have been playing with my stamps and def. like spraying it with OO or dipping it in OO then shaking of excess. Makes it come out a lot better. If I get a little too much oil left I dab it with a soft tissue once it's set a bit.

Kazmi I have to do the same.. my silicone never releases as fast as my wooden molds but I think it's due to most of my wooden being gel'd. Also it's so much easier to take out of a wooden mold.
Just ordered 2 plastic flat trays I can take apart which I'm hoping are easy also.. the sure were pricey so better be!

I use silicone molds often, and they always have to sit longer than a wood mold. I find that the thicker the silicone the longer it takes for the soap to come out firm. A little salt in the lye water helps the soap firm up quicker. But it really is just a matter of patience. I don't have any advice on stamping, but that is something I want to do soon.

Latest posts

Back